120, c-41 processing in the middle of no-where

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by newrmdmike, May 2, 2007.

1. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i am an hour from the nearest photo lab who regularly processes 120 film, or advertises that they can do it. I considered mailers, but fortuanatly found out that some places can develop it, they just can't print it. Apparently many machines can process the 120 film, its just that if they don't keep the rollers clean then where the film is against the spots the 35mm film doesn't touch it will get chems and gunk on your film.

So, tomorrow morning i'm having 120 film developed at cvs . . . wow. i never would have considered this before, but the lady there who can do it was reffered to me by the only specialty store in town.

does anyone else know of any GOOD mailers, or places they can process 120 filim at where it isn't advertised?

i've heard walgreens, and sams club can, and that walmart uses fuji lab mailers, and undercharges for 120 film, but can do it.

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Have you tried developing it yourself and scanning? I'v heard that you can develop for 3 min at 100 (or so) degrees or you can drop down to 85 degrees at 8 min though i have not tried this. Press kits are about $20 and will last a while if frozen after mixed. You can pick up developer tanks for under $30 (I've seen them go for $5 on ebay).

Check in the film section for advice and a tutorial -on B&W- and maybe C-41 as well.

mike

3. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    b&w film photography is as much art form as it is technical expertise. How you expose and how you develop all play an integral part in the final print ... in the whole dance.

Changing the development time and methods (i.e. agitation, temp, et al) will effect the negative ... some is subtle some may be significant. I highly recommend you develop your own stuff. It isn't hard, requires very little in up front costs and ultimately, it is very rewarding as it is one step closer to being the complete photographer.

Tip, wet negative and dust do not mix. So always handle wet negatives in the bathroom where the dampness reduces airborne dust. Hang the negatives in the shower ... same reasoning.

Making a proof sheet is equally easy, all you need is a couple of trays and a sheet of 8x10 glass to do it on the cheap or a "proofer" which is another less than expensive piece of equipment.

Gary

4. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well seefut c-41 is color so that doesn't help. I would suggest trying mpix I use them for digital and they have a film service all you have to do is request mailers. Persoally I would stay away from any dept. store or even camera store send out service. I used to work for Ritz and tried their send-out service for medium format and it was terrible. I had marks on my negs and the print quality was awful the only labs I trust with my medium format are pro labs I do not shoot mediukm format almost never anymore so I use mpix for my digital and a very happy with them.

5. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    oops ... sorry ... so newrmdmike ... shoot b&w.

6. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    C-41 developing is do-able, you just have to follow directions to the letter. I was flirting with this until I got my D200 and haven't gotten back to it. (There is something about a motor rewind going off You just don't seem to get over ;) ) There is documentation out there on the net for 8 minutes at 85 degrees f which would make things a lot easier in the timing, getting the negs wet with the developer right away, minor temperature variations and the like. For that matter there are formulas for the chemicals themselves should you be a chemist or of that mind.

Using purified water will take care of water spots and just be careful of dust (there are programs for that along with noise) and you should get some fine scans. From there it is just a matter of FTPing the files to where ever you want them printed or do that your self too.

If I remember correctly after you've bought the equipment the film works out to around $1.85 a roll to develop it your self.

If this interests you, do go to the film section and ask there.

mike

7. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    haha, i shoot black and white as well, and develop and print it myself. well, cvs was a mistake, marks along the sides and middle at the beginning of roll from the rollers. d amn that woman, she said the machine was clean and acted like she knew what she was doing.

i wasn't feeling adventurous enough to develop it myself this go round, and didn't have the chemistry anyways.

the pics turned out great, just with some crap on the negs, so i guess i'll say i was going for that grungy look now. karma got that woman back though, i accidentally forgot to pay, i just walked out with it, totally forgot . . . oh well, i probobly wouldn't have paid had i initially seen the marks anyways.