~1200 Budget 60d or T4i

rrsandhu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am about to buy my first slr, and was wondering what to buy. I would be mostly using this camera for outdoor shots, portraits, and maybe some filming. Any suggestions?

Currently their is deal for a canon t4i and 18-55 IS lens for 679. This would allow me to use the extra money on good lens and maybe flash.

There is also a deal for a canon 60d that includes: for 1189.

• Canon EOS 60D Body
  • EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens
  • Wide Strap
  • Gadget Bag 200D
  • 8GB Class 10 SDHC Memory Card

I would prefer a 60d just because of its size and it has a wheel on the back and front which enables faster setting up when changing settings. I would try though to get a deal not including the 18-200 lens. It would be a great focal length to have in one lens but you would be better served with better lenses. As been said here before it be kinda like putting bad tyres on a good car

I would prefer a 60d just because of its size and it has a wheel on the back and front which enables faster setting up when changing settings. I would try though to get a deal not including the 18-200 lens. It would be a great focal length to have in one lens but you would be better served with better lenses. As been said here before it be kinda like putting bad tyres on a good car

I totally agree. The wheel on the back of the 60D makes a HUGE difference.
The 18-200 is a compromise on quality in order to get everything in one lens. It's fine for snap shots, but if you want high quality that's not what it's made for.

The 18-200 is a compromise on quality in order to get everything in one lens. It's fine for snap shots, but if you want high quality that's not what it's made for.
Thanks for the tips.
Would getting just the body, and buying a lens be better. Do you have any suggestions for good lenses.

Is there a particular store you are looking at? There are kits with the 60D and the 18-135 kit. Better quality, still a consumer lens, but better than an all in one zoom. Kind of depends on what you need the lens to do too.

The T4i offers improved ISO performance (up to 25600 vs. only 12800 for the 60D), and a built-in stereo mic (mono on 60D), plus it got the Digic 5 processor and it's cheaper. If your're not planning on shooting in rough weather it's a better choice IMHO.

The T4i offers improved ISO performance (up to 25600 vs. only 12800 for the 60D), and a built-in stereo mic (mono on 60D), plus it got the Digic 5 processor and it's cheaper. If your're not planning on shooting in rough weather it's a better choice IMHO.

The t4i is only 679, compared to the 60d ~900. I could spend around 400 on a average lens. Because the t4i comes with 18-55mm IS lens.

Get the t4i, or you can even get a cheaper used t3i.

Honestly, it's just as good as the 60D, especially if it's your first camera. You don't need all the functions on the 60D. People who are used to the "wheel in the back" of course will recommend the pricier item, but for a newbie I think it's more worth it to get some better lenses.

You will go through a lot of camera bodies in your life. Get what you can afford, for now. One thing to spend most of you money is the lens. Get the best glass you can afford and you will be more than pleased with whatever body you are using as long as you have excellent glass, you will get excellent results.

Agree also, I purchased the same camera lens combo a year ago and don't regret my decision. It has given me the range to try almost everything and it does some things very well. I'm just growing out of the lens now and looking around for what might be my next one.

if you are new to using a dSLR, I would imagine the touch controls of the t4i would be more intuitive to use than the dials and switches (and screen hopping) on the 60D. Also, the ability to (sort of) focus while taking video might be nice if you ever plan to do that, but I hear that it's pretty dicey.

On the 60D side, you'll get a better build, and dual dials- which come in VERY handy when/if you start shooting in manual mode (or even in aperture priority to adjust exposure compensation). Also, the viewfinder is a little nicer and I just love the way the shutter sounds on a 60D.

It's a real tough call, you can't really go wrong with either one, I found Canon Rebel T4i vs 60d Comparison may help you to choose. Yet I prefer the touch screen controls would make it much easier to use.:lol:

thanks would it be better to get one with IS or one without because their is a huge price differecen
The IS would give you a bit more exposure options. The 2.8 would be even better and the 2.8 with IS would be optimum, but for the price, the 4 non IS is still a really nice lens, would probably meet most of your shooting needs and would retain most of it's value should you have the desire to upgrade later.

if you are new to using a dSLR, I would imagine the touch controls of the t4i would be more intuitive to use than the dials and switches (and screen hopping) on the 60D. Also, the ability to (sort of) focus while taking video might be nice if you ever plan to do that, but I hear that it's pretty dicey.

On the 60D side, you'll get a better build, and dual dials- which come in VERY handy when/if you start shooting in manual mode (or even in aperture priority to adjust exposure compensation). Also, the viewfinder is a little nicer and I just love the way the shutter sounds on a 60D.

It's a real tough call, you can't really go wrong with either one, I found Canon Rebel T4i vs 60d Comparison may help you to choose. Yet I prefer the touch screen controls would make it much easier to use.:lol:

the XXD models also have more flexibility in some settings (1/8000 shutter speed and selection of ISO)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back