14 questions needed answered

I don’t think that this is totally cheating, would have been nice to see Bruce’s speculation of the answers to start

9. What determines how much light
> reaches the film? (three things)
> Shutter speed = time and aperture (f/stop) = intensity

2/3 haha - everyone fails to think of "available light"
>

This is actually incorrect - the 'available light' does NOT affect how much light reaches the film.
'Available light' is a vague term that can refer to the Illuminance of a scene or the Luminance of a scene depending on wether you are taking an incident light reading or a reflected one.
Illuminance is measured in Lux (lumens per square metre) and Luminance is measured Candelas per square metre.
If the Lux/Candela level is low then it is said that there is not much available light.
This does not, however, affect 'how much light reaches the film'.
The aim of a photographer is to expose each frame on a roll of film exactly the same amount of light as every other frame on that film.
It is the same principle as filling a 5 gallon bucket with water. You can fill the bucket quickly by having the tap full on, or you can fill the bucket slowly by reducing the flow of water to a trickle. But the result is the same - 5 gallons of water.
So the answer to the question as phrased is aperture and shutter speed. If you insist on a third factor then the only other thing that would determine the amount of light reaching the film is the light meter.

Jeff Canes said:
I don’t think that this is totally cheating, would have been nice to see Bruce’s speculation of the answers to start

How is it not totally cheating? He asked for answers and obviously didn't even try otherwise he would have had something for at least a couple of them, then took matts answers and turned them in verbatim as his own.

oriecat said:
Jeff Canes said:

How is it not totally cheating? He asked for answers and obviously didn't even try otherwise he would have had something for at least a couple of them, then took matts answers and turned them in verbatim as his own.

That plagiarism not cheating, you learn buy gathering information for many sources books, TV, magazine, Internet, radio, life and some times talking with people & picking their brains

Hertz van Rental said:
-------If you insist on a third factor then the only other thing that would determine the amount of light reaching the film is the light meter.

Hertz - The only reason I can think that a light meter would affect exposure (how much light reaches the film) is to determent the available light :scratch: right? If you have a 3-gallon bucket and 5 gallons water the bucket will only hold 3 gallons. It is the same as set the shutter speed and f-stop within the EV 8 range but having light for an EV 15 range or option. But buy doing this you will get an over or under exposed images, right?

Jeff Canes said:
That plagiarism not cheating, you learn buy gathering information for many sources books, TV, magazine, Internet, radio, life and some times talking with people & picking their brains

I'm gonna have to agree with this.

Plagiarism is part of cheating. You get serious penalties if the University finds out.

whatever happened to... bruce lee?

sorry i couldn't help reading through and finding this funny, mr bruce lee sounds like all the cheats, plagiarists, whatevs, i have met who are very good at getting what they need off you (normally at the last minute and with minimal effort) when it suits them then you never hear from them again!

bruce lee, where are you?!

Jeff Canes said:
Hertz van Rental said:
-------If you insist on a third factor then the only other thing that would determine the amount of light reaching the film is the light meter.

Hertz - The only reason I can think that a light meter would affect exposure (how much light reaches the film) is to determent the available light :scratch: right? If you have a 3-gallon bucket and 5 gallons water the bucket will only hold 3 gallons. It is the same as set the shutter speed and f-stop within the EV 8 range but having light for an EV 15 range or option. But buy doing this you will get an over or under exposed images, right?

Correct.
The light meter is used to determine the exposure, and as the question was 'what determines how much light....' ;-)

BruceLee said:
> 11. What sort of thing would be best
> to meter in a subject?
> The most important thing. Hopefully it's middle gray

no. the most important dark areas you need to record. Almost always the
shadowed areas. the rest will take care of itself.

If you meter off the most important shadow areas that you want to record, and use the settings recommended by the meter, you would be over-exposing by about 2 stops (placing zone 3 in zone 5). Normally I like to meter important shadow detail, and then set the exposure for 2 stops less (keeping zone 3 at zone 3).

My "hopefully it's middle gray" comment refers to my opinion that if you couldn't answer the rest of these questions, then you aren't likely to understand how a light meter operates. But that's for Photog 102 class....

ksmattfish said:
BruceLee said:
> 11. What sort of thing would be best
> to meter in a subject?
> The most important thing. Hopefully it's middle gray

no. the most important dark areas you need to record. Almost always the
shadowed areas. the rest will take care of itself.

If you meter off the most important shadow areas that you want to record, and use the settings recommended by the meter, you would be over-exposing by about 2 stops (placing zone 3 in zone 5). Normally I like to meter important shadow detail, and then set the exposure for 2 stops less (keeping zone 3 at zone 3).

My "hopefully it's middle gray" comment refers to my opinion that if you couldn't answer the rest of these questions, then you aren't likely to understand how a light meter operates. But that's for Photog 102 class....

Being pedantic (my middle name) the best sort of thing to meter in a subject would be the light. It is a very badly phrased question.
And of course if you use an incident light meter (like the Weston Invercone) the question becomes pointless.

Jeff Canes said:

It is both plagiarism and cheating. Yes, that's how you learn, and then generally you take what you've learned and put it in your own words, showing that you actually learned something, other than how to copy and paste.

Most reactions

Back