• Sigma

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which one of these two lenses is an overall better performer in terms of quality and performance?

Do you really think someone will have both?

From photos I've seen, tamron looks better, but sigma may be a safer bet due ability to update with firmware. Don't want a third party lens that's obsolete with next gen of dslrs

Buy both, use them both, decide which is better........ then send me the one you don't like.

Which Sigma are you comparing to the Tamron?

Tamron 150-600mm pros:
- slightly sharper at center at 600mm (by maybe a 5% margin, something really small)
- slightly cheaper price-point by $50-$100
- tested and used over a longer period of time for assurance of quality at the 2-year mark of usage

Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary pros:
- sharper at 150mm by a small-medium margin
- better optical stabilization
- focus accuracy and speed is better and purported by many who have switched from Tamron to be the reason for switching to Sigma from Tamron
- optically very good across the entire frame (if you're filling the frame, or cropping in anywhere from dead center, you'll get better results)
- better customizability with the dock (which costs extra)... some of the customization is really useful (limiting your focus range to a specific amount can *REALLY* help if you know how you'll be shooting at a specific event, or place... ie. setting focus to 25 meters and beyond, rather than just using the 15 meter limiter built on to the lens)

I had the choice between the Sigma and the Tamron, I went Sigma. One could say I am biased because I'm on a budget and I've gone with Sigma... but I *did* make the decision just a little while ago between the two. I did get to handle both in store... knock on wood hope the lens holds up over time!

The Sport is worth considering if double the cost and weight isn't an issue. You get weather sealing, and the slight sharpness increase is worth maybe half of the $1000 price hike (it's verrry slight, but edges over the Contemporary and Tamron by a little bit).

Sigma it is.

Wow just using one opinion and your sold? It is your money I realize but what do you think makes PaulWog an expert, not saying he isn't and not knocking him either, just trying to make a point that there are a lot of reviews out there comparing these two lenses. Ive personally been looking at these two also and have found some like one and others like the other. Let us know how you like the Sigma.

If you check out both on Flickr groups I think (and you know what they say about opinions) the tamron group looks like it had generally nicer photos, that could be users ability also, but I think generally the image quality looks nicer as opposed to image content

If you check out both on Flickr groups I think (and you know what they say about opinions) the tamron group looks like it had generally nicer photos, that could be users ability also, but I think generally the image quality looks nicer as opposed to image content

Look at the shutter speed on 99% of the Sigma photos that are currently uploaded. Shutter speed isn't just the first issue... proper focus acquisition, correct hand-holding, proper use of the optical stabilization, proper sharpening, and not cropping in massively... all issues that you end up seeing with beginners who hop on with a new lens.

Flickr is a terrible place to go to judge the performance of a lens.

Actually users of both are saying it's pretty much a crap-shoot between the Tamron and Sigma C. But you do get a few benefits from the Sigma with the docking station if you care about that.

Look at the shutter speed on 99% of the Sigma photos that are currently uploaded. Shutter speed isn't just the first issue... proper focus acquisition, correct hand-holding, proper use of the optical stabilization, proper sharpening, and not cropping in massively... all issues that you end up seeing with beginners who hop on with a new lens.

Flickr is a terrible place to go to judge the performance of a lens.

I disagree Flickr is a bad place to judge image quality of a lens (but I don't like putting big red x's across other peoples post generally)

If you have a little idea on exif and what to expect from certain photographers I think Flickr is as valid a judging reference as any

@gr8five, we have no way of knowing that hamlet didn't do a whole lot of research, TPF being only one of the resources of information/opinion.

I hope the op has done a lot of research and I guess thats what I was trying to get across. I hate to see anyone buy something and in a few months wish they hadn't. I know Ive been looking at these two for a while now and just this morning I finally ordered one.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back