$150 budget to expand equipment

Good stuff, VI! :)

"cause the 50 is kick butt" and "it was well worth the purchase" still doesn't answer it for me tho. If a beginner or intermediate user already has 55mm what advantage would be obtained by spending their last money on a 50mm prime?

Sharpness and speed. You can't push a VW Beetle to a Lamborghini's tops speed, but you can drive a Lamborghini down to VW speed. :wink:

I have a D80 with kit lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm).

I have saved up $150 in my "expand my photography equipment" fund. I think it's time to get something. I've been looking at the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF lens for $129, shipped, at Amazon.

I already have a decent (at best) tripod. I lost my lens cap for my 18-55 and got a UV Filter to keep on it instead. I may invest in another cap but they aren't very much out of my savings.

I have NO lighting. I'm thinking about doing some portraiture so I may need to work on that and backgrounds? I'm actually doing a photo shoot next Saturday at a nearby river. It has some great rocks to shoot on and use as backdrops and I may have a few couples going so that will be fun with swimsuits / trunks posing them against each other in some sexy poses. (I could actually use suggestions for river posing ideas or links to threads)

Anyway, here's a quick recap of what I have currently:

Nikon D80
Kit 18-55 and 55-200mm lenses
Tripod (that sucks)
and a carrying case that is adequate for my needs

Thanks for suggestions in advance :)

After reading over you post a couple of time's my suggestion is going to be a bit radical compared to the other posts. Personally I think what you really need to get is a savings account for toys. Put a few dollars in it every pay check etc. When ever you can and let it build.

While it is building, explore the possibilities in photography more, figure out where you want to go, what interests you and what equipment you need to accomplish that goal. Have a plan and an order to follow that plan. Then you will have answered you own question because you will know what it is you need. In the mean time you learn, Understanding exposure is a good start, and practice with what you have. Once you have mastered the equipment that you own, progressing and figuring out challenges at the next level gets easier as you have a foundation to build on and more money to dedicate to the needs for where you want to go.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Most reactions

Back