~$1500 to Spend... Seems Legit??

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's my list. I've been changing it and such for the past week, and think I've reached what I really want, and hope this will maximize my expenditure.

Sekonic L308S
Nikon SB700
Pocket Wizard Flex TT5
Lee Filters GND Hard set of 3
Flash Stand
Glow Hexapop 24"
Lee 5 Filter Pouch
Hitech 4x6" reverse 0.6 GND hard edged
16 Sanyo Eneloops
Vanguard Stone Bag

Overall it comes to about $1542. I'm really trying to upgrade my 50mm 1.8D, grab another flash, and add a few more filters to my bag.

Any thoughts? Things I could change out or alter to make it an even better list?

Cheers!
Jake

Last edited:
I didn't see a lot of "improvement" by buying the new 50mm f/1.8 G-series lens...I actually do not like its size; filter is 58mm, lens hood is massive for a 50, and it just does not "integrate" with the other Nikkor prime lenses that I actually use. I like the smaller, 52mm filter size and HAVE IT on my 24/35/45/50 AF...those four are the four primes I actually USE the most, so adding the 50/1.8 G gives me a FAT lens hood, one too-big lens cap, and not that much better optics, if any...

I've been impressed as HELL by the 85mm f/1.8 G...but the 50/1.8 G...ehhh...I leave it at home now and take the "OLD" 50, so I have everything small, compact, and with the "right" size filters and lens caps and hoods and filter-mounting rings,etc.. When you use drop-in Grads or any other type of drop-in OR round filters, having "one" oddball lens becomes a PITA. The stupid lens hood for the 50/1.8...its kind of a loose-fitting, sloppy bayonet on style, and it falls off at the slightest handling touch 2,3 times a day...really not a well-implemented lens design. I would stay with the 50/1.8 D, it's PLENTY good, and put the money toward maybe a second SB-700 flash, or something else that will actually bring something new to the game for you. All the other stuff though...that's some good chit,man, it is.

I didn't see a lot of "improvement" by buying the new 50mm f/1.8 G-series lens...I actually do not like its size; filter is 58mm, lens hood is massive for a 50, and it just does not "integrate" with the other Nikkor prime lenses that I actually use. I like the smaller, 52mm filter size and HAVE IT on my 24/35/45/50 AF...those four are the four primes I actually USE the most, so adding the 50/1.8 G gives me a FAT lens hood, one too-big lens cap, and not that much better optics, if any...

I've been impressed as HELL by the 85mm f/1.8 G...but the 50/1.8 G...ehhh...I leave it at home now and take the "OLD" 50, so I have everything small, compact, and with the "right" size filters and lens caps and hoods and filter-mounting rings,etc.. When you use drop-in Grads or any other type of drop-in OR round filters, having "one" oddball lens becomes a PITA. The stupid lens hood for the 50/1.8...its kind of a loose-fitting, sloppy bayonet on style, and it falls off at the slightest handling touch 2,3 times a day...really not a well-implemented lens design. I would stay with the 50/1.8 D, it's PLENTY good, and put the money toward maybe a second SB-700 flash, or something else that will actually bring something new to the game for you. All the other stuff though...that's some good chit,man, it is.

I've read a lot about the 1.8G having a lot less CA than the D version, and it having slightly better bokeh.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you thinking I have the 50mm 1.4D?

Are you thinking I have the 50mm 1.4D?

1.8D doesn't come with a lens hood so he isn't. I use a 1.8D and it is quite an awesome lens. Also bokeh is great and I haven't noticed CA.

Oh I've managed to achieve some pretty horrid CA...

I've read a lot about the 1.8G having a lot less CA than the D version, and it having slightly better bokeh.

Jake

Derrel bashes the 85mm 1.8 AFD for purpleish whatever ... he swears by the 85mm G version

I know .. I have the AFd 85mm 1.8 ... so I see all his posts about it lol
I can't recall him talking negatively about the 50mm AFD

Do you want to buy my 85mm 1.8 AFD ?

Jake

Derrel bashes the 85mm 1.8 AFD for purpleish whatever ... he swears by the 85mm G version

I know .. I have the AFd 85mm 1.8 ... so I see all his posts about it lol
I can't recall him talking negatively about the 50mm AFD

Do you want to buy my 85mm 1.8 AFD ?

Already have the 1.8G.

Cheers!
Jake

I still think 50mm is boring.

What about a light meter for flash photography...?

BUY a light meter ... one should come with all cameras and flashes
I just got one .. and it is nice to have (once I figured out how to use it).
I should have bought one at least when I bought my first flash and tried OCF

BUY a light meter ... one should come with all cameras and flashes
I just got one .. and it is nice to have (once I figured out how to use it).
I should have bought one at least when I bought my first flash and tried OCF

Definitely seems like a good idea...

Edited original post to reflect my switch from the 50mm 1.8G to the Sekonic L308S.

Jake

Most reactions

Back