16-85 vs 17-55

Val

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Assuming 16-85 has about the same distortion and a tiny bit less sharp, which one would you pick?
Im a sucker for fast lenses but im also a sucker for VR. If im shooting at night at 24mm, f2.8 will allow me to go only 1/20 at around 24mm, while with f4 and VR i will shoot 1/6 no problem!
If i was doing portraits at 50mm, i will need to use 1/40 at 2.8, but with 5ish and VR i can do 1/20 easy.

So the only advantage is when the subjects are really moving. And even then you can crank iso or use flash. Although ofc it is an advantage still.
On the other hand 16-85 also has superior reach which is importaint.

17-55 is build better, but is also heavier and larger.

What do you think?

Assuming 16-85 has about the same distortion and a tiny bit less sharp, which one would you pick?
Im a sucker for fast lenses but im also a sucker for VR. If im shooting at night at 24mm, f2.8 will allow me to go only 1/20 at around 24mm, while with f4 and VR i will shoot 1/6 no problem!
If i was doing portraits at 50mm, i will need to use 1/40 at 2.8, but with 5ish and VR i can do 1/20 easy.

So the only advantage is when the subjects are really moving. And even then you can crank iso or use flash. Although ofc it is an advantage still.
On the other hand 16-85 also has superior reach which is importaint.

17-55 is build better, but is also heavier and larger.

What do you think?

Before you start making accusations, wait till the lens comes out.

Before you start making accusations, wait till the lens comes out.

I totally agree with this...

However, to answer your original question (using only the published specs) my question is "how would you use the lens".

If you are using it for anything that moves, then go with the faster lens.

If you are using it for anything that doesn't move, then go for the faster lens and a tripod.

I think the specs on that lens are flat silly for the MSR of the 16-85, and can't for the life of me understand what they are thinking... unless it is simply spectacularly sharp and completely full of all lens problems... which I sincerely doubt.

Speed kills (i.e. makes killer shots).

17-55 pretty much everytime. Unless weight is an issue and you don't' need speed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back