16mm Fisheye...Yay or Nay????

Munky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rikogonzalez.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now That I'm Done with the Flash "Issue" i want also to purchase a Fisheye lens and i came Across a Zenitar 16mm Fisheye lens! i was wondering your opinions on a 16mm Fisheye....since 80% people from what i read use a 8mm....

Now That I'm Done with the Flash "Issue" i want also to purchase a Fisheye lens and i came Across a Zenitar 16mm Fisheye lens! i was wondering your opinions on a 16mm Fisheye....since 80% people from what i read use a 8mm....

The longer the focal length, the less the fish. 16mm is good for a full frame camera, but not so much for a crop.

I can't speak to this lens directly but I have a 17 - 50 and the 17 doesn't seem to have a "fisheye" type effect to it so I'd be a little skeptical about the 16mm. I wouldn't dismiss it without first taking a look at it but if you're going to go for a fisheye and you're into that style, I'd probably look at getting a stronger affect than the 16mm would give.

Hope that helps, somewhat. ;)

I can't speak to this lens directly but I have a 17 - 50 and the 17 doesn't seem to have a "fisheye" type effect to it so I'd be a little skeptical about the 16mm. I wouldn't dismiss it without first taking a look at it but if you're going to go for a fisheye and you're into that style, I'd probably look at getting a stronger affect than the 16mm would give.

the 17-50 is rectilinear though and not a fish.

Like Village Idiot already said, the focal length does effact the amount of fisheye the lens will produce. But the other factor is that fisheye lenses are not corrected for distortion, whereas the 17mm end of you lens is corrected to try and keep straight lines straight. But as he already said, 16mm fisheye on a crop camera, isn't going to be much of an effect. Something in the 8-12mm range would be more desireable.

3546327243_063252cbbc.jpg

3544685443_2e07275005.jpg

Those are taken with the Zenitar.....still no good?

i googled pardon my noob!

shyt so... what you say is that i wont get much "fish" effect with that lens?

pshow about a 8mm Peleng?

That lens is made for a 35mm film camera ... so to get the full effect you need a full-frame DSLR camera ... otherwise you loose the full 180 degrees.

16mm on a crop sensor would be equivalent to, what...24mm. granted, as VI and GB already said, there's no distortion correction on a fisheye. but it seems you would want to go lower than a 24mm equiv.

how much is this lens youre looking at btw?

that might factor into it as well.
good fisheyes can cost $$$

Ok.. I have one of those lenses, as well as a peling 8mm.

My personal view is, play with it any way you can.
fish eye is fish eye. I had it for my now Stolen Minolta 7D, and loved playing with it. As for the crop aspect.. Phooie!

Itll still fish eye all you want it to. Just play with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back