17-40mm vs. 70-200mm sharpness

vd853

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking of getting rid of my 70-200mm f4l IS for a 17-40mm, because focal is just too long for me. But, I heard that the 70-200mm is sharper, but how much sharper can it be compared to the 17-40mm, which is also a L lens? Appreciate any photo comparisons between these two lens.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 70-200mm f4l IS for a 17-40mm, because focal is just too long for me. But, I heard that the 70-200mm is sharper, but how much sharper can it be compared to the 17-40mm, which is also a L lens? Appreciate any photo comparisons between these two lens.
Sharpness has a ton to do with technique.

• If a lens is mounted on a tripod
  • with the aperture set to it's sweet spot
  • and the shutter is released with a remote trigger
and is then compared to an image
  • made handheld
  • with a wide open or fully stopped down aperture
  • at either extreme of the lenses focal length
  • with a manually released shutter
the comparison can't be valid.

The 17-40 mm isn't even in the same focal length range as the 70-200.

I'd recommend renting the 17-40mm and making your own tests.

save you money and just by it then you will have a good wide lens and a good long one that you already have.

Last edited:
Yup, I wouldn't trade a 70-200 for a 17-40. I have both, and I need both. Life without the 70-200 isn't life at all. :)

As for the sharpness of the 17-40, it can hold its own. I love my 17-40 and will never part with it. Here's a shot I took a couple weekends ago.

629554959_eT3pY-XL.jpg

Depending on your situation, you may want to consider the 70-200 F4L. It's smaller and lighter and may very well be the sharpest lens I have ever used. If you need IS, go for it. I have the IS 2.8 also. If you don't have to have IS, save hte money and use the non IS F4.

I too say keep the 70-200 and get the 17-40. You'll have a decent range covered. I have the f4 non IS and the 17-40, love both....

Wow. I really should not reply to threads while watching football. SOrry. I totally missed the point that you already had a 70-200.

In that case, no way I would give up that lens for a 17-40.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back