17 year cicada and a panorama sunset

his4ever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stonecafecreations.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All I can say is... Yucky! These things are loud (they sound like thousands of phasers being fired from the original Star Trek) and they were flying everywhere and squished on the ground everywhere. Very creepy.

1)
17yearcicada.jpg

2)
17yearcicada2.jpg

3)
17yearcicada3.jpg

And now for some real beauty... saw this on my way to grocery store. Tried to do some bracketing... but I did not have my tripod. Thankfully there was an empty lot by the store so I was able to capture this without any powerlines and other weird objects getting in the way :D.

4)
sunset2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

do they bite ?

You were lucky, indeed, to get to take Photo 4 like you did, without any distracting things inside your frame such as the much-dreaded powerlines or anything else. What a sight!

We don't have cicadas here but I remember when I was in Texas the second time (Aug 98), there was a cigada-fall going down around the area of the restaurant we wanted to go to and they were everywhere and we HAD TO drive over them and squish them on our way to the parking area and it went crack-crack-crack all the time. Ugh.

Cicadas were out when I was in kindergarden in Ohio back in 1988-9. 17 years later, and they were back just after I was home from graduating from college and getting ready to move to Colorado. I like 'em (they don't bite), though the second time they weren't as numerous.

I have never seen anything like this before... but they did not seem as numerous as I heard they would be... it seemed that in the dense state park they were everywhere... maybe it will get worse over the summer??

Thanks for your comments everyone :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back