18-105mm f3.5-5.6G VR Lens

FemFugler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I *finally* have a job and i already have plans for the first couple paychecks. lol

So i have basically decided that i would like to upgrade to a D90 from D3000. I think i probably end up keeping the D3000 as a backup though.

So i was looking at Black's Photography, i already have the 18-55 lens as it came with my D3000 so i don't really see why i would need two of those so i was thinking of just getting the d90 body and getting a macro lens with it separately.

That is until i found this package:

BlacksPhoto - Product (Nikon D90 w. 18-105mm f3.5-5.6G VR Lens)

18 - 105mm

The only thing is not many reviews popped up on google for it. I also wanted to see some 'sample' pictures, shots taken with it and i couldn't find any. Aside from google images but i dont know how reliable that is.

Also i have heard mixed things. I was just wondering if anyone here has the 18 - 105 nikkor lens and if you would recommend it.

I found these two reviews on it:

18-105mm AF-S DX Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR ED review - Summary - Lenstip.com

So my question is would you recommend getting the package AND a macro lens later on, or just getting the body and a macro lens.

Also what macro lens can you recommend($600-800ish would probably be my price limit for now....)?

I asked in Black's and the guy suggest the 60mm lens... do you agree with this suggestion or can you recommend something different?

It doesn't have to be by Nikon/Nikkor either... it can be like Tamron or Sigma(if you would even recommend those brands.....)

Thanks in advanced.

:D

AFAIK, the 18-105 is a decent lens; not a stand-out, but a decent, consumer-grade lens. I'm not sure that I would recommend running out and buying a macro lens right off the bat as they're fairly specialized lenses. If you do buy one, I would recommend the 60mm 2.8D - it usually sells for ~$350-400 second-hand and is an excellent piece of glass.

hmmm ya i would probably wait a few months if i did get the d90 and the 18-105 lens to get the macro. If i just got the body then i would probably get it right away.... but as of right now i think im going to get the 18 -105 package thing...

Oh and i'm also considering the 50mm instead of the 60mm..... which would be a better match do you think?

thanks

The 60mm macro lens is excellent, you'd better get the package as it will save you some money.

-Santacruz

I have the 18-105 on my D90 and I like it. It is a nice lens for the price. I read a couple of on line reviews when I was going for the camera and they had positive writeups on the lens. Here's a couple ofsample images:

_DSC0006.jpg

_DSC0009.jpg

Which 50 mm?

I was thinking the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S

The 60mm macro lens is excellent, you'd better get the package as it will save you some money.

-Santacruz

Thanks, i think that's what i will probably end up doing.

I have the 18-105 on my D90 and I like it. It is a nice lens for the price. I read a couple of on line reviews when I was going for the camera and they had positive writeups on the lens. Here's a couple ofsample images:

_DSC0006.jpg

_DSC0009.jpg

Ohhhh thank you for the sample pics! Yea, i think i will probably spring for the package with the 18-105 lens rather than just the body.

I still plan on getting a macro lens, either a 60 or 50mm within a few months though.

Or you could just buy my 18-105.

For what it's worth, I just picked up a Tamron 18-200 for $300 (new) and already love the freedom of not having to switch between the 18-55 and 75-300 lenses (and I am lowbudget btw). Sharp photos so far, need to investigate further but happy so far.

Mine was for Canon, but of course they do the nikon as well.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WK8NK/ref=s9_simvh_se_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=02BHKT4E4PH2NTPMJ08R&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1263465782&pf_rd_i=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FTamron-AF-18-200mm-Aspherical-%2Fdp%2FB0007WK8NK[/ame]
https://www.robertsimaging.com/stoc...8-200mm F-3.5-6.3 XR Di II (Canon) (A014).jsp

Most reactions

Back