18-55mm VRII

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any reason I should keep this lens. looks like there around 250 bucks new so I am guessing it must be pretty good.

it came with my camera and I used it for one day or two and than got the 18-200mm lens and have not touched it since, I am tempted to sell it but in some ways i wonder if I should hold onto it for any reason.

My wife has one with her D3200, I have used it on my D7100. It is a fantastic lens, super sharp. If I shot crop only it would be in my bag just as a quick go-to mid range lens. If you shoot crop only and don't need 2.8, considering how light it is, I don't see a reason to get rid of it.

If you sell it, you're not going to get anywhere near $250, so figure your loss.

most of the time I seem to use my 18-200 or the 150-500, I throw my 35mm 1.8 on occasionally for general shooting or when I want to shoot in low light I use the 35mm.

the other day I did thrown the 18-55mm on and took a pic, than I took the same pic with my 18-200mm lens. I used the same settings for each lens and the pics looked roughly the same. I think there were slightly more shadows with the 18-55 and when zoomed in heavily on the object the 18-55 was a good deal sharper. but you could only see the difference when you were heavily zoomed in, the pic i took was of a far away tree and some stuff in the background, I was not close to the tree.

when heavily zoomed in to the tree its self I could see the sharpness in the tree bark with the 18-55mm. with the 18-200 when heavily zoomed in on the tree the bark looked a good deal softer.

I think my settings were f/4.5, 1/40 and 35mm with both lenses, maybe if I wold have had f.7.1 or something on the 18-200 it might have been just as sharp. but I wanted to try with both lenses at the same settings.

The 18-55 is lightweight and it does seem quite sharp but I am not 100% sure that Ill use the thing. its allot easier to just leave the 18-200 on all the time for general shooting.

the lens came with my camera, if you look at the cost of the body and the cost of the body + lens kit I would not be at a loss if I sold it.

Last edited:
I recently bought a refurbished AF-S 18-55 mm without the VR for $56.
IMO, VR is of little practical use on a 18-55 mm lens.

True, VR is not exactly needed on that type of lens but I am sure there are people out there that would prefer to have a lens with VR and since this is the latest and greatest VR kit lens I am sure someone would want it if I did sell it. I would be happy to get 150 bucks out of it and looking at the price new I am sure it would sell for that much, If i put it up for sale here maybe, but I could try eBay I would probably sell pretty fast there.

I looked at my credit card bill and well I think I should sell some stuff, plus I am one of those people that don't like to keep things around If I am not going to use it. the less junk you have laying around the better.

I personally would not sell it but I'm a gear hoarder.

1/ It is light
2/ It is good
3/ It sells very cheap used

they are known to be sharp too.
If you don't really care for the added sharpness in that focal range then you might as well sell it even if it's not much $$. More $$ to put towards faster memory cards, etc. I sold me 55-200 non-VR a while back for change it seemed, but I haven't missed it at all, no sense on hoarding.

At the school where I work, the year book classes uses a D3100 with a 18-55 elCheapo. The school just purchased one of those huge Canon ink jet printers that takes 36" paper. They printed a shot of the year book team 36" by 50" that was shot with the D3100 and the 18-55. at f/8. and ISO 100. I got a chance to look at it today. I am amazed. Don't sell this lens short.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give it a good try out in different situations and see if I the no its worth keeping

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back