18% Gray Card - Maybe a dumb question

This brings up something that I've always wondered. How often do you guys use a gray card to set white balance? Every time you go out shooting? Or just when the ambient light is particularly challenging? Or not at all and just fix WB in PP?
You use the gray card to adjust the WB in PP, that's what it is for. Without using a gray card, you or the image editing softwrae you are using are just guessing what the WB should be.

Doing research online, they say camera now days are about 99% correct with AWB but professional photographers will most likely do it for every environment they are in.
Who are 'they' and what cameras are they talking about? And yes pro's don't let the camera make to many decisions.

Your statement is so general it's useless without references and/or links.

Who are 'they' and what cameras are they talking about? And yes pro's don't let the camera make to many decisions.

Your statement is so general it's useless without references and/or links.

I guess this would be a good time to google/youtube "custom white balance" and you will have your answer. :thumbup:

Auto White Balance you mean? Custom White Balance is using the gray card.

Auto White Balance you mean? Custom White Balance is using the gray card.

I know what I said :mrgreen: Ok Ok I googled one for ya happy?

When to change white balance

Many cameras also have a "custom" white balance setting, but this is only necessary if you want to be 100% sure that the light striking your subject is not affecting the colors in any way (in other words, it's used more by professionals than the everyday photographer).

(in other words, it's used more by professionals than the everyday photographer).

Sorry, I have to feed the fire here....

Manual mode used more by professionals than the everyday photographer. They can use Auto.
DSLRs used more by professionals than the everyday photographer. They can use P&S
Canon used more by professionals than the everyday photographer. They use Nik.. :razz:

Seriously, if you care about what your photo looks like, if white balance is critical for they shot, or if you have time, why not set it? Alternatively, shoot RAW and set it in post.

(in other words, it's used more by professionals than the everyday photographer).

Sorry, I have to feed the fire here....

Manual mode used more by professionals than the everyday photographer. They can use Auto.
DSLRs used more by professionals than the everyday photographer. They can use P&S
Canon used more by professionals than the everyday photographer. They use Nik.. :razz:

Seriously, if you care about what your photo looks like, if white balance is critical for they shot, or if you have time, why not set it? Alternatively, shoot RAW and set it in post.

Yeah I agree with you. Notice I said "
Doing research online, they say camera now days are about 99% correct with AWB but professional photographers will most likely do it for every environment they are in."

Not that they always do/have to. Sorry I didn't want to go more into details on who "they" were. I figured it was given. They = articles online and youtube videos

Most reactions

Back