18% gray card needed?

ssnxp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you use one? I'm thinking of getting one large enough for on-camera correcting, as I haven't delved into PP just yet. What do you think, necessity or not?

In short, its a matter of style and preference.
There are times that I use it, and other times I don't: when lighting is really weird, then I preset it. If shooting with on-camera flash or umbrellas, then I'm either on sunny/daylight or 5560K.

All about preference :)

Necessity, for a professional. I keep a Munsell colour card in my bag at all times so that I can use it as needed. Sometimes WB is important (journalism), critical (colour-critical work for a client, like product photography), or a doesn't really matter so much.

Is a credit card-sized one good enough to custom-white-balance on the spot? Or would I need something bigger?

I definitely don't have a studio yet, so I was looking for something very portable, but I've read that the pocket sized ones are too small for anything other than fixing white balance in PP..

No, it's not good enough. To use the custom WB feature on the camera you need a card larger enough that it will fill the frame.

However that doesn't stop you from setting a custom WB that's shifted to blue/amber or magenta/green away from a preset.

No, it's not good enough. To use the custom WB feature on the camera you need a card larger enough that it will fill the frame.

However that doesn't stop you from setting a custom WB that's shifted to blue/amber or magenta/green away from a preset.

What do you mean one that's shifted from a preset? Could you please elaborate?

I should be described in your camera's manual. Most/all modern DSLR's allow you to manually set a custom WB by starting with one of the camera's presets (fluorescent, tungsten, shade) and and moving away from that, and even bracketing.

I should be described in your camera's manual. Most/all modern DSLR's allow you to manually set a custom WB by starting with one of the camera's presets (fluorescent, tungsten, shade) and and moving away from that, and even bracketing.

Oh yea, I thought you meant something fancy.. like having your OWN preset from a calibration or something, and using that to fix the white balance. Sorry. :lol: You can tell I'm new here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back