18% gray card vs white card

What's accurate is anything that's spectrally neutral -- gray or white. Can't beat a piece of white Styrofoam.

Joe

wb.jpg

I'd guess so also. It's what the meter is calibrated for and I'd guess it would be easier to quality control something that reflects a uniform grey than a uniform "white"

Is styrophome inherently neutral, I mean, from a chemistry standpoint?

So, what about WhiBal? They claim to be the most accurate white balance.

They're very good -- just as good in fact as a Styrofoam coffee cup, but no better. If you have to look like you know what you're doing then spend the money on WhiBal. If you have to look like you know what your doing and look professional then spend more money on a ColorChecker Passport. But if all you want to do is get accurate white balance grab a take-out container at the gas station.

Joe

Helen was awesome. Too bad she doesn't come around much anymore.

Helen was awesome. Too bad she doesn't come around much anymore.

Yep, I sure miss Helen. Nobody could settle a dispute like Helen and I used to love to sit back a watch a noob show up and try and disagree with her.

Joe

I had not used a custom white balance for a long time, because I feel like I don't need to until recently when I photograph art paintings at the nonprofit school to get accurate color. I have tried WhiBal and other brands. They are all the same. I still don't understand what is so good about WhiBal that this forum praising about.

Last edited:
its hard to read color in white.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back