1960's treatment

Thanks for the tips everybody. I'll have a look at Picasa - if anyone has got some good result using photoshop (like using layers and playing with colour and contrast etc) do say!

Most folks in the '60s got their news coverage either in the newspaper or on the 6 o'clock news. Either way if I remember correctly it was always grainy and, a little underexposed, B&W or color.

Ads, if in color always had that funky over-saturated, surreal color pallette thing going on. With the typical Kodachrome color cast.

JMHO

............ Jim

Ads, if in color always had that funky over-saturated, surreal color pallette thing going on. With the typical Kodachrome color cast.

I was just looking at a (probably late-60's) NASA souvenir postcard the other day and it definitely conforms to this description.

99% of the 60's look is going to be in the styling of the sets and actors.

No - I know it's something simple like this, but I've never been able to find a consistent approach to doing it.

If you read the site I linked you to, you'll find some insights, like this:

"In Utah, there is a popular state park named by the National Geographic Society as Kodachrome Basin due to the colorful rock formations and deep-blue sky. In many respects Kodachrome is the great American film -- it was formulated to render Caucasian skin tones a satisfying pink, and turn blue skies into something best described as God-like. You could say that Kodachrome is like every other color film, only more so."

High contrast, high saturation, and if you look closely at the images on that page, most seem to have a slight shift towards magenta (helping to get pink skin tones). Achieving this in photoshop is a no-brainer.

Thanks Bull Goose that's exactly what I used. Great comment as I got hold of it and have then just read your post. It's a great plugin.

I always meant to update you lot with results of this. I used the Alien Skin plugin although took me a while to fiddle around with the settings - instead of selecting a particular film type, I selected "Old Feel" and fiddled with the settings. The only criticism I have of my own results is that the grain gets lost because the size of these were so large; but that's how I had to provide them!

Thanks once again for everyone's help.

mess with the levels, contrast and saturation to get the kodachrome effect. you can sort of get it by intensifying reds and a specific hue of blue....other methods will get the same thing

I always meant to update you lot with results of this. I used the Alien Skin plugin although took me a while to fiddle around with the settings - instead of selecting a particular film type, I selected "Old Feel" and fiddled with the settings. The only criticism I have of my own results is that the grain gets lost because the size of these were so large; but that's how I had to provide them!

Thanks once again for everyone's help.
Wow! turned out great! Defiantly doesn't look like it was taken recently. I think it has that old feeling with cleaner results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back