1D Mark IV AF test

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a quick AF test using the latest firmware (1.0.6). I realized I need to update my CF cards as I only have SanDisk 8GB 30/mb cards which only allow me to get 8-10 shots before the buffer overflows. I just ordered a couple 60/mb cards that should be here next week.

Anyway, here's a sample of my dog running towards me at a fairly leisurely pace (not flat out running towards me full-tilt-boogie). I've found that the camera, if you hit your AF point in the view finder, never skips a beat.

776070252_xQxEQ-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/776070252_xQxEQ-X3.jpg

776070290_pNSvE-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/776070290_pNSvE-X3.jpg

776070320_y5UwB-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/776070320_y5UwB-X3.jpg

776070362_jK5x7-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/776070362_jK5x7-X3.jpg

776070394_JXNP8-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/776070394_JXNP8-X3.jpg

776070434_Z3FPM-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/776070434_Z3FPM-X3.jpg

776070471_5Fogx-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/776070471_5Fogx-X3.jpg

776070501_zD2nc-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/776070501_zD2nc-X3.jpg

Camera settings:
AI-SERVO (default settings)
single point AF (center) with surrounding AF points active
70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens used set to Av mode and f/4
High speed continuous mode was selected
Auto WB

So are you able to utilize tracking so if your hand shakes for a frame the next closest AF point picks up the subject?

I didn't stay locked on her eyes (where I started the focus in the first frame) as she was bounding but the camera kept the focus right on her eyes. You can see in a couple of the frames her head was well outside of the center point yet focus continued.

That's pretty awesome. If I remember correctly, you were even debating a full switch to Nikon because of Canon's lack of a good AF system...(I think that was you). I'm glad to see that Canon stepped up and that you were able to avoid the headache of a system switch.

That's pretty awesome. If I remember correctly, you were even debating a full switch to Nikon because of Canon's lack of a good AF system...(I think that was you). I'm glad to see that Canon stepped up and that you were able to avoid the headache of a system switch.
I was considering a jump to the D3s, but not because of the AF system. I was more interested in some of the features of the D3s, mostly the high ISO capabilities. I also like that it's a full frame vs. a 1.3x crop, although I don't really dislike the 1.3 as much as I just prefer full frame.

Now that we have both the D3s and 1D4 on the streets and we're seeing technical reviews of their image quality, I'm quite content with the 1D4's performance compared to the D3s. Here's a LINK to an in-depth review of D3s RAW's vs. 1D4 RAW's including high ISO performance.

In a nutshell, the 1D4 holds together beautifully to ISO 12800. Past 12800 it falls on its face. I'm fine with this as all I really wanted was super clean ISO 6400 and usable 12800 anyway... and I got that and a little more. The 1D4 also has superior color rendition and superior WB resolution than the D3s (which has a habit of rendering unflattering yellow tones) which is a bonus. After all, it's about IQ more than anything else.

So I made out pretty well. I was really torn as I expected the D3s to stomp a mudhole in the 1D4's chest. As it turns out the D3s didn't get a new AF system (still working with 15 cross type sensors vs. 39 of the 1D4)... which it needs in the face of the 1D4. As it stood, the D3 couldn't top the 1D3 in AF, and now that the 1D4 has a completely new AF system, the deck is really stacked in the 1D4's favor... and next to IQ the most important reason to own a body like the 1D4 is for AF.

That's not to say I won't buy a Nikon at some point. But Canon really pulled it out with the 1D4 (and even the 7D). I look forward to the 1Ds4 and the 5D3... as I plan on upgrading to one of them at some point.

I think it would have been a bit much to expect the D3s to stomp the 1D Mark IV. That's probably something we should expect to see from the D4..... but that could be far enough in the future that it would be expected just due to the advances in technology over that time period.

I think it would have been a bit much to expect the D3s to stomp the 1D Mark IV. That's probably something we should expect to see from the D4..... but that could be far enough in the future that it would be expected just due to the advances in technology over that time period.
Nikon lagged behind for years... and with the release of the D3 and D700 they REALLY got serious.

I expected Nikon to continue the trend with the D3S... to go full bore and introduce a revamped D3 with a new AF system, a few more megapixels, super high ISO, maybe even 10fps on a full frame. They didn't do much other than put video on it, bump the ISO performance and call it day. It would seem they are coasting for another couple of years until the next big release.

Canon on the other hand came back with the 7D and 1D4... not to mention the pending 1Ds4. Totally new functionality on the 7D and updates in all the right places for the 1D4. It would seem Canon is back in the game.

Nikon lagged behind for years... and with the release of the D3 and D700 they REALLY got serious.

I expected Nikon to continue the trend with the D3S... to go full bore and introduce a revamped D3 with a new AF system, a few more megapixels, super high ISO, maybe even 10fps on a full frame. They didn't do much other than put video on it, bump the ISO performance and call it day. It would seem they are coasting for another couple of years until the next big release.

Canon on the other hand came back with the 7D and 1D4... not to mention the pending 1Ds4. Totally new functionality on the 7D and updates in all the right places for the 1D4. It would seem Canon is back in the game.

Yea but the D3s isn't a new camera. It's an update revision. If there was a new AF system or different physical specs then it would have been a D4.

That's not to say I won't buy a Nikon at some point. But Canon really pulled it out with the 1D4 (and even the 7D). I look forward to the 1Ds4 and the 5D3... as I plan on upgrading to BOTH of them AS SOON AS THEY ARE RELEASED.

FIxed for you TIm.

Yea but the D3s isn't a new camera. It's an update revision. If there was a new AF system or different physical specs then it would have been a D4.

Nice comparison of the D3s and 1D Mark IV and 5D Mark II.
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV vs. Nikon D3s: ISO Comparison | neutralday

Which company appears to be "coasting"????? Nice noise!;)

Nice derrel, another link to a flawed test. The Nikon does have a slight advantage at higher ISO's, but the mkIV is not full frame, and has more resolution. Nikon high ISO looks cleaner, but that is Nikons noise reduction which obliterates detail. Look closely at files from a 5DII compaired to the D3s at 1600 and 3200. Much more detail in the 5DII files. D3s is a damn fine camera, but staring at 100% crops from a full frame low MP camera and a high MP crop sensor camera is flawed at best.

So I guess one could also say "which company appears to be coasting? Nice lack of detail!:sexywink:

If you demand super high ISO clean files, D3s is still the leader, but if you want superior autofocus and more resolution, its a no brainer. Both are fantstic......pick your poison.

Nice derrel, another link to a flawed test. The Nikon does have a slight advantage at higher ISO's, but the mkIV is not full frame, and has more resolution. Nikon high ISO looks cleaner, but that is Nikons noise reduction which obliterates detail. Look closely at files from a 5DII compaired to the D3s at 1600 and 3200. Much more detail in the 5DII files. D3s is a damn fine camera, but staring at 100% crops from a full frame low MP camera and a high MP crop sensor camera is flawed at best.

So I guess one could also say "which company appears to be coasting? Nice lack of detail!:sexywink:

If you demand super high ISO clean files, D3s is still the leader, but if you want superior autofocus and more resolution, its a no brainer. Both are fantstic......pick your poison.
Yeah, that test has been ripped apart, I guess Derrel didn't get the memo.

The D3s can go past 12800 were the 1D4 falls on its face. But then the 1D4 keeps proper color whereas the Nikon files start to show a yellow tint.

The D3s is a nice camera, but it has a dated AF system that never was a top performer to begin with. Now in the face of the 1D4, it's a bit of a dinosaur as technology goes. Rest on your laurels for one generation and the competition shoots past you.

There are also charges that Nikon is doing additional NR before writing files to the CF card... even RAW's... which is why it loses so much detail. I've not seen anything definitive on this charge, but I'm sure someone will get to the bottom of it.

WHatever the reason, it looses detail for sure. Still a fantastic performing camera body, but the Canon series suits "MY" shooting better. I like the little extra reach, and more resolution. I like to crop. For some reason, I find I frame very loosely. I used to shoot tight, and got to where I couldn't privide properly framed 8x10's for an event. So somewhere in my mind I have defaulted to framing loose....sometimes very loose for fear of it happening again. The 5DII is magically for me because of that fact. Heck, I can shoot portrait and crop to landscape if I need to.

My mkIV is sitting at the house, and I am wishing I had it with me. LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back