1D MKII

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Robp412, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Robp412

Robp412 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I was searching craigslist... Saw something that caught my eye, and I decided to shoot the guy an email. He had all kinds of goodies on there, but I saw a 15mm fisheye he wanted 400. But the real thing I was after was the 1D MKII... I asked him how much he wanted, and he said $800 with an extra battery. I asked him how many shutter actuations have gone through this camera and am still waiting for the reply, but am I completely insane or is this a wonderful deal? Input, suggestions everything's appreciated :lol: Thank you all in advance.
    -Rob

2. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It may be a good deal, check the camera out before agreeing to anything.

3. Robp412

Robp412 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I definitely would, but just basing it off of what I know... Anyone else?

4. Robp412

Robp412 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, I know someone's going to throw it out there... I mostly shoot portraits of friends, family, stuff like that. I do a little "makeup" like making people appear dead/dying, and I'm working on a project with a paintbrush "going into" the neck bleeding out paint. I also shoot some skateboarding, and some bands.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    $800 is very low (good for you). I would check the number actuations on the shutter prior to purchase. Remember, this is a professional camera. Just like any tool/equipment in commercial/professional use, they are sometimes "well used" (abused?). Ask the person if they are a professional and what type of photography they make a living from. If it is a studio camera, then you are good to go (indoors, staff takes care of equipment). If it was a war journalists' camera, you might be looking at a well used camera. If he/she shoots as a hobby, even better...

The good news is that the 1 series cameras are built like tanks for the rigors of professional use.

btw.... the number of shutter actuations are encoded into the EXIF data of a photo. Do a search on the internet for specific instructions and bring a laptop. That is what I did during my previous years of buying and reselling cameras.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  6. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is one for $1,100 in SD today, says excellent condition (needs cash to fix bmw) - but I'm with you on the shutter count. You probably would not buy a used car not knowing the mileage..

I would pay a little more to get a unit that I know more about, or take a little risk after you check out the basics. You could probably sell it with that margin should it not workout for you. Heavy? 8.1 mp..

How about a 5D with a 24-105 for $1,200? The used market is a gamble, but I've had some good experiences buying and selling at the local 7-11 parking lot. A calm nature and intuition are key.

-Shea

7. Robp412

Robp412 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I first saw that 5d, I freaked out at the price especially with that lens. When I looked closer the lens and camera are separate lol =]

8. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whoops, my bad :blushing:.. I've seen the bundle for around $1,600 on the street.

9. Robp412

Robp412 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Could anyone give me some example shots from this camera? Also is this really 10pounds? Haha I'll actually be lifting weights hah but pro gear that cheap with such quality is totally worth it! Either way gimme some thoughts on this camera thanks :) as always thank you in advance!
    -rob

10. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check out my website: Alex Turco Photography for a ton of sample images from the 1D mark II N, which is basically identical to the mark II. Click on the info button on the right side of the images to get camera specifics.

11. Robp412

Robp412 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you!

12. Txaggie08

Txaggie08 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    adorama has some in box used models for about 1100.....I bought one as my christmas present to myself, and was happy with it at about 90k actuations(lifespan is 180k -225K as i understand it)