1D MKII

Robp412

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was searching craigslist... Saw something that caught my eye, and I decided to shoot the guy an email. He had all kinds of goodies on there, but I saw a 15mm fisheye he wanted 400. But the real thing I was after was the 1D MKII... I asked him how much he wanted, and he said $800 with an extra battery. I asked him how many shutter actuations have gone through this camera and am still waiting for the reply, but am I completely insane or is this a wonderful deal? Input, suggestions everything's appreciated :lol: Thank you all in advance.
-Rob

It may be a good deal, check the camera out before agreeing to anything.

I definitely would, but just basing it off of what I know... Anyone else?

Oh, I know someone's going to throw it out there... I mostly shoot portraits of friends, family, stuff like that. I do a little "makeup" like making people appear dead/dying, and I'm working on a project with a paintbrush "going into" the neck bleeding out paint. I also shoot some skateboarding, and some bands.

$800 is very low (good for you). I would check the number actuations on the shutter prior to purchase. Remember, this is a professional camera. Just like any tool/equipment in commercial/professional use, they are sometimes "well used" (abused?). Ask the person if they are a professional and what type of photography they make a living from. If it is a studio camera, then you are good to go (indoors, staff takes care of equipment). If it was a war journalists' camera, you might be looking at a well used camera. If he/she shoots as a hobby, even better...

The good news is that the 1 series cameras are built like tanks for the rigors of professional use.

btw.... the number of shutter actuations are encoded into the EXIF data of a photo. Do a search on the internet for specific instructions and bring a laptop. That is what I did during my previous years of buying and reselling cameras.

Last edited:
There is one for $1,100 in SD today, says excellent condition (needs cash to fix bmw) - but I'm with you on the shutter count. You probably would not buy a used car not knowing the mileage..

I would pay a little more to get a unit that I know more about, or take a little risk after you check out the basics. You could probably sell it with that margin should it not workout for you. Heavy? 8.1 mp..

How about a 5D with a 24-105 for $1,200? The used market is a gamble, but I've had some good experiences buying and selling at the local 7-11 parking lot. A calm nature and intuition are key.

-Shea

When I first saw that 5d, I freaked out at the price especially with that lens. When I looked closer the lens and camera are separate lol =]

Could anyone give me some example shots from this camera? Also is this really 10pounds? Haha I'll actually be lifting weights hah but pro gear that cheap with such quality is totally worth it! Either way gimme some thoughts on this camera thanks :) as always thank you in advance!
-rob

Check out my website: Alex Turco Photography for a ton of sample images from the 1D mark II N, which is basically identical to the mark II. Click on the info button on the right side of the images to get camera specifics.

adorama has some in box used models for about 1100.....I bought one as my christmas present to myself, and was happy with it at about 90k actuations(lifespan is 180k -225K as i understand it)

The comment about cameras in professional use being abused imo is rubbish, I have cameras that have been used professionally for ten years add to that hobby use for nearly as much time again and all work perfectly. Most professionals have cameras serviced regularly and tend to really look after their equipment, where most hobbyists/amateurs just keep firing away till their next upgrade so if I was buying 2nd hand I would examine the camera for accident damage, check all functions work etc and if I felt it was a deal would then buy it. As a pro user I couldn't care less about shutter actuations, there's more chance of a hobbyist clocking up those in machine gun mode than a true pro who's usually thinking before hitting the button. I have a medium format bronica that has been in pro use since 1962, by me for eight years and the previous owner since new and its still going strong despite looking a little shabby due to constant handling. H

I don't know, Harry... I've seen good and terrible examples of both used and pro used equipment... one cannot lump it all into one statement. I know one Pro that did my wedding was an absolute pig and he CERTAINLY did not care about his equipment enough to spit on it.

Take it on a case by case basis, check things out, and for SURE check out the actuations. 200,000 by a pro or 200,000 by an amature are *still* 200,000 actuations.

I dealt with several media organizations. None of the photographers owned their equipment used for assignments. What happens when the equipment you used is shipped and knocked around the world? What happens when the equipment is not owned by the person using it? What happens when the photographer's number one goal is getting the job done and the care of their equipment ranks low? For the organization they work for, the equipment is CHEAP... and damage is just part of doing business. A camera is a commodity.

Now take two professional and business owned cameras. One spends its time in the studio and the other spends most of its time traveling around the world. Which do you think would be in better shape. I always got more for studio cameras even if they had higher shutter actuations because they were almost always better cosmetically. Gives the buyer (usually a hobbiest who normally can't afford the camera new) the sense that the camera was cared for.

This is no different than cars from rental companies... no one cares for the car they don't own.

Now take a hobbiest who spent thousands of their hard earned cash for the camera. I bet fear of damaging their camera and caring for the camera ranks pretty darn high. It does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back