1st and 2nd Strobe Session

I

Iron Flatline

Ok, first time out with some flash guns. I have to admit I'm enjoying this.

On the lawn behind Potsdamer Platz at Sunset

3562917262_74c47d22b9_o.jpg

This is at sunset. Simple set-up... the sun is setting on the right, and there is a flash camera left, high, firing at 1/4 power.

Colin at S-Bahn bridge near Hackescher Markt in Berlin:

3562101885_6006b5226f_o.jpg

One flash camera right up high at 1/8th power, and another at 1/8th power against the back wall, with a 3/4 CTO gel to bring some warmth. I kept the overall atmosphere dark.

At the Museum Wall

3563301156_4fb7f27ceb_o.jpg

There wasn't a lot of room behind him, so I just decided to put him right up against the wall and let the light hit both equally. Two strobes (or flashes, not sure if there's a difference) one to the righ and high at 1/16th, and another camera left at 1/32nd with a 3/4 CTO.

Kochstrasse with bus, Berlin Kreuzberg

3563301296_770ef06454_o.jpg

This is where it got fun. Three strobes, one to the left high, one to the right, both at 1/8th... but the second one is further away, and still wearing that 3/4 CTO gel. The third strobe is on the floor behind Colin, with a Stofen yoghurt cup pointing up at FULL POWER... thus actually illuminating the bus driver!

The High Pass filter was supposed to give it that Futureshock look... but I'm not sure it's working... comments please (on all of it, but that look especially!)

At Potsdamer Platz, with truck and cars

3563301666_ce8de7da12_o.jpg

Another shot with moving traffic, and again two different strobes at the same power, the left one with the 3/4 CTO gel. This also has the High Pass Futureshock look, and - again - I'm not convinced it works.

In general I can think of a lot of flaws with these images, but considering it was my first and second time out, I'm pleased with the acceptable results.

First 2 are best, like them a lot, 3 is good too but I dont think its as powerful. The last two arent working for me, I think its only because of the high pass, makes it look over sharpened. But I like the idea of having him lit with the moving cars in the background. Post a version without the high pass. :)

Colin at S-Bahn bridge near Hackescher Markt in Berlin is my favorite.

I agree that the last two (in your first post) look over sharpened - mostly on the last one.

The first one doesn't even look like the same person as the rest. Sunglasses at night - makes a huge difference on his appearance.

You make it sound so easy. Great start - can't wait to see what you do once you really get to know these strobes.

Looking good!

As mentioned, minimize or go easier on post processing to bare minimums and concentrate on getting out of camera shots as good as you can. I like the idea of 2 and 3 strobes deep and more, but am wondering if you are pushing the more complex stuff without having practiced and gotten comfortable with the single light first.

Concentrate on the basics for a while, this is your bread and butter knowledge from which all technique flows from and from which all the rest can build off of. You know... like Zack Arias. ;)

I'd like to see a couple of focused 1 light scenarios from you. :)

Great shots, 1 and 3 especially. My only suggestion if you were doing it again is set the flash to rear curtain sync, so the light trails on the vehiles are going the "right way". Unless they were reversing at the time, in which case ....carry on :)

The more I look at it the more I like 3!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back