1st and might be last set of B&W prints

randerson07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ryanandamy.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well after waiting 2.5 weeks I finally got my prints back from Wolf Camera. Turns out I got 39 pics from a 36 exposure roll wierd?

It ended up costing $25 for the prints and a CD, way too high for me so unless I find something cheaper Ill either be using the C-41 B&W films, developing my own, or not shooting film at all.

I ended up with a couple pics I liked, but most were out of focus, partly due to shooing in low light, partly due to the super small DOF at 1.8 on the 55mm Petri lens.

Here are a couple I liked
1. My youngest shiba inu, Bamboo
2439616836_af74bb06b5.jpg

2. My 1yr old cat Oliver
2439616820_1699c410ed.jpg

Edit:Im also not completely satisfied with the quality of the prints, some have scratches and little blotches on them. Ive got another roll to be picked up at a Mom and Pop shop next week, hopefully its cheaper and better quality.

You can see a few others I posted to my Flickr in my sig.

Thanks for looking.

Spend about $250.00 or so and get your own processing up and running. I did it in February and haven't looked back. In a couple of years when I can afford to start printing, I'll have a lot of catching up to do. Plenty to keep me occupied.

If you don't want to process yourself, get the film processed and scanned to a CD. That way you can view the shots on your computer in the comfort of your own home and then select the frames you want enlarged. That should save you quite a bit of cash.

I did that with the test roll I ran through the petri, no prints just negatives and a CD from some cheap Walgreens 400 film. that cost me $9.

i like getting all the prints. Personally i rarely ever print shots from my DSLR, I like that other than the CD I have to get prints to see what I did with the film cameras.

$250?! I paid around $75 for chemicals and supplies.. have developed around 15-20 rolls at home since. I scan my negatives and inkjet the prints.

What and where did you get all you needed for $75?

Well after waiting 2.5 weeks I finally got my prints back from Wolf Camera. Turns out I got 39 pics from a 36 exposure roll wierd?

It ended up costing $25 for the prints and a CD, way too high for me so unless I find something cheaper Ill either be using the C-41 B&W films, developing my own, or not shooting film at all.

I ended up with a couple pics I liked, but most were out of focus, partly due to shooing in low light, partly due to the super small DOF at 1.8 on the 55mm Petri lens.

Here are a couple I liked
1. My youngest shiba inu, Bamboo
2439616836_af74bb06b5.jpg

2. My 1yr old cat Oliver
2439616820_1699c410ed.jpg

Edit:Im also not completely satisfied with the quality of the prints, some have scratches and little blotches on them. Ive got another roll to be picked up at a Mom and Pop shop next week, hopefully its cheaper and better quality.

You can see a few others I posted to my Flickr in my sig.

Thanks for looking.
Your b&W's look good. Why do you want to quit them?

PS Saw the your pic of the cat ready to pounce on the dog on your MY flicker. Funny as hell.

I did that with the test roll I ran through the petri, no prints just negatives and a CD from some cheap Walgreens 400 film. that cost me $9.

i like getting all the prints. Personally i rarely ever print shots from my DSLR, I like that other than the CD I have to get prints to see what I did with the film cameras.

What and where did you get all you needed for $75?

Freestyle Photo.

Basically all I bought (and all you really need for b/w developing) is:
-1 Developing Tank
-1 Thermometer
-3 mixing bottles
-1 graduated cylinder
-Chemicals (Developer/Stop Bath/Fixer/Photo Flo)

That's it.. I bought a bag of clothes pins from the 99¢ store to hang the wet negatives to dry in my bathroom. I use a regular bottle opener to open the film canisters in my dark closet. I mix the stop, fix, and photo flo in the bottles and set them aside, then mix the developer in the cylinder each time i'm ready to do a roll.

Once the negatives are dry, you can cut 'em up and scan or send them to get prints of the ones that look good to you.

If you want specifics on what I bought, send me a pm and i'll be glad to figure it all out.

Your b&W's look good. Why do you want to quit them?

PS Saw the your pic of the cat ready to pounce on the dog on your MY flicker. Funny as hell.

Thank you.

I dont want to quit them, Its just far too inconvenient and costly.

I just got a roll back from a differnt shop, $9 to have it put on a cd with no prints, thank god I didnt get the prints, cause something is seriously screwed up with them heres a few examples.

1. I was on the other side of the road for this its backwards, plus whats that black blob? shutter problem?
00180019.jpg

2. This one is also backwards, check the writing, do I blame the lab for scanning them wrong?
00180015.jpg

3. I like this one but Backwards as well
00180014.jpg

4. This one was one of the 1st shots, I believe I loaded the film badly, and this would be one of the 2 prelim shots you need to fire on the Petri to get the shot counter started. Its a mix of two shots, from two different sides of my desk, wierd huh?
00180002.jpg

4. this one is just for kicks, I was holding a second 55mm lens backwards up to the front of the lens on the camera to take a macro of some dog food. The DOF when you do this is RAZOR thin and was impossible for me to get right without a tripod and some more light, or maybe a mount to hold the lens so my hands were free.
00180030.jpg

That last batch.. personally, I think it looks like bad lab-work. The backwards pics, while easy to fix in any software, should've been caught by the lab. The mix of two frames, that's definitely a scanning issue.. maybe they have an automated scanner.

This is why I stopped shooting film back before digital slr's were affordable. I never had good results from photo labs, and didn't have space for a darkroom. With the cost per good shot factor, it wasn't worth it to me, so I practically quit photography out of frustration.. until I could afford a DSLR, which not only helped me re-learn exposure techniques thanks to instant feedback, but also gave me 100% control over my pics. When film scanners became affordable, I got back into film since that control is there with film now, and I find myself shooting it more than digital.

Last time I got my color film developed (I get color developed and cut only, no prints, at the local drug store for around $2), they had cut some of the frames. So from now on i'm going to request it uncut and do that myself.

On a couple of those last pics, they obviously put them in the scanner wrong. As for the dark sides and the wash outs, you'd have to check the negs.

I hope you can get your money back on the scans.:grumpy:

$75.00?!?!? Where'd you get that gear from, the 70's?

Uhh.. no, if you look at all the things I listed up in post #7 on Freestyle Photo's website ( www.freestylephoto.biz ) it prices out to "around" $75. Current era. (2008) I live in california, so I had to pay sales tax too, so for me it was a little over $80.

IMO the only way to do film b & w is by hand, from dev to print. The "backwards" shots are down to your processor/lab loading the film into the scanner wrong. The black splodge in the photo is due to incorrect exposure.

I assume it was a very bright day on the road this caused the metering system to be fooled, pretty much like a snow shot, if you want detail in the shadow, expose for shadow areas. Point camera at the darkest part of the scene, lock this exposure in camera, recompose the shot and take it.

Most reactions

Back