1st attempt at a Moon shot...

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Zach, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Zach

Zach TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    X

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. ypperin

ypperin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Could be my monitor but seems under-exposed and centered.

3. xtort-

xtort- TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is a documentary type shot- it is expected to be centered. You could crop a bit. Maybe some longer exposure? That's a lot of light hitting your camera though for 1/250 and F18 and 200 ISO, so it looks like you have plenty of room to play around with settings.

4. Zach

Zach TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    X

5. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. |)\/8

|)\/8 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have to remember the moon is very bright, especially a full or close to full moon. Normally when shooting the moon I use the following settings:

ISO- 100
    Aperture- f/8
    Shutter- 1/250

I would strongly recommend using a tripod and cable release if you are shooting with a telephoto lens otherwise you will have to bump up the ISO to get your shutter speed up. If you are not using a tripod you will want to keep your minimum shutter speed at a 1:1 ratio with your focal length or even faster if you are using a crop sensor camera like me. If I wanted to shoot the moon hand held without a tripod with my 50D and 400mm lens, I would want my shutter speed to be 1/640 or faster (crop factor x focal length, or 1.6 x 400mm = 640).

This is a starting point so you may have to adjust your aperture or shutter according to the actual brightness. Here is a photo I took last night with the above settings (EXIF data should be intact) using my Canon 50D and 400mm f/5.6 lens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  7. Zach

Zach TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    X

8. astrostu

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use lowest ISO setting. Most Canons are 100, most Nikons are 200 (in my experience).

Image quality/size should be the highest, but that's a general rule of thumb. Unless by "large" you mean that the moon is more "close-up," as in |)\/8's example vs. Zach's ... that's just a case of a longer effective focal length.

I also have to say that, in my opinion, both of their shots are under-exposed. After looking at the histograms on each, I would say 1.5-2x as long of an exposure would work better.

9. Zach

Zach TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    X

10. |)\/8

|)\/8 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I adjusted the brightness and contrast to what looked good on my monitor, perhaps I need to recalibrate. That photo is also cropped quite a lot. Below you will find the original with no adjustments other than converting from RAW to JPG, which looks slightly overexposed on my monitor. You will also find a 100% crop of the original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. astrostu

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I've pimped this twice today already, but take a look at the lunar photography guide I wrote for this forum. 7 pages of everything you should need to know to get started.

On my monitor it looks under-exposed rather than over-exposed. While the histogram has bimodal peaks at just less than 50% gray, the brightest part is at 81.6% gray (206 of 255 8-bit levels). If it were my photo, I would stretch the histogram so that the entire brightness range is used plus play with the curves a little bit to bring out some more contrast, but not over-do it as I've seen many folks do.

12. Aye-non Oh-non Imus

Aye-non Oh-non Imus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since I've already posted the photo in another thread, I hope this isn't bad form to repeat it here. Taken tonight when the moon was ~30° above the horizon. I'm curious on any thoughts of it.

[​IMG]

Thanks and apologies if it is considered highjacking. I'll gladly remove if requested.​