1st attempt at baby pics

maulrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well. It is inevitable. I've finally had an attempt with baby photos. I'm so happy to own a Dslr. I would have gone poor if I had to pay for film; so many shots that weren't worth post processing. What do you think?

Just a note. All photos taken out of the blue. No setup, so I could have probably done better if a studio setting.

378539067_REwkV-L.jpg

378539200_TPaCt-L.jpg

378538894_txzVH-L.jpg

375849444_7WCme-L.jpg

375849397_ZGTCH-L.jpg

Cute shots, the last and #3 are the best, because the background is distracting in the other four. The baby in the first three is soooo cute!!​

No.4 expression is priceless !

great job i'd say :) the elements are there, but of course all of them can be enhanced with post processing as desired =)

just a side thought, some baby pics are nice and natural in naked and bw / sepia shots

very cute!
Watch not to cut off baby arms and legs though, and the angle on #2 is too extreme, but the light on his face in that one is great IMO. The background is also distracting in the first set and you should remove the 1/4 person in #4.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I need more practice with angled photos. I just started testing the waters with angles recently. I see now, after putting it on screen how the angle was too much on #2. #1-3 were all taking at a picnic at the beach in near LA so I had to hurry with my shot because of too much going on. #4 had to be a quickie shot because the boy was in between opening gifts. I wish I would have slapped on an f1.8 prior to that shot. #5 was a crazy shot because the boy just went down a slide and I yelled at him to even look at me, LOL. I think I want to go back to shooting adults, perhaps models so I can better control my subject and environment, hehe. Crazy kids. Thanks again all :)

1 is my favorite (adorable kid, too... really cute... and I think most kids are ugly. :lol:) Could be brightened up a touch and given a hair of a boost in saturation and sharpening, but great.

2 is nice too. 3 is funny.

In 4 there are a lot of visual distractions. Some woman's leg, something hanging on the back of the chair, something hanging on the wall. Some reduction of depth of field would help here- though nothing was going to save you from that thing on the back of the chair. I also think the toy is kinda ugly in the shot.

5 is a better shot, and the background is nicely blurred and colorful, which is cool. I'm personally not fond of pictures of "kids" with their shirts off, however. Babies? Sure. Kids? No. Couldn't tell you why, but it totally screams "socially unacceptable" to me.

"I'm personally not fond of pictures of "kids" with their shirts off, however. Babies? Sure. Kids? No. Couldn't tell you why, but it totally screams "socially unacceptable" to me."

Hmm... Manaheim, you must not have ever been a father of a kid who HAS to be naked until they are like, um, 5 or 6 or 7? :lol:

Hmm... Manaheim, you must not have ever been a father of a kid who HAS to be naked until they are like, um, 5 or 6 or 7? :lol:

hahah... mmm... no? :) My wife wouldn't have allowed it anyway. We have two young girls and she's been very adamant that the older one needs to be wearing undershirts so that evil perverts won't be checking her out or something.

I dunno. I totally don't get it, but then I totally don't understand anyone who would be interested in little girls either...

Um... yeah... nice subject.

SO ANYWAY...

:lmao:

In 4 there are a lot of visual distractions. Some woman's leg, something hanging on the back of the chair, something hanging on the wall...nothing was going to save you from that thing on the back of the chair. I also think the toy is kinda ugly in the shot.

I think I'm gonna take some serious time to hopefully produce some photoshop magic. It would have to be a miracle if I could make perfect corrections. This shot was really unplanned. I had no other place to stand because so many people were watching the kid open presents. The thing behind the chair is actually a shirt on a hanger; opened gift. The little toy he was holding was his gift opened just prior to the shot. I guess you can pretty much call this a candid. I had to yell at him to even look in my direction.

I'm personally not fond of pictures of "kids" with their shirts off...

LoL, it is way more acceptable for little boys, as opposed to little girls, with their shirts off. This shot was in a very homely home with all family around. A shirtless 2 year old boy is a pretty normal thing to see running around this home. I guess I'm just used to it. That's how we roll.

^^^ hey, don't get me wrong. I wasn't judging so much as sharing my reaction.

Most reactions

Back