1st attempt at portraits

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by HoboSyke, Mar 1, 2008.

1. HoboSyke

HoboSyke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all, these are my 1st portraits I have really done. Please critique or comment these as I would like to hear your feedback.
    This is my friend from Bangladesh, who has never posed for shots before either. Also it was very windy and had a hard time keeping her hair out of her face, also the light was going from overcast to sunny sometimes between shots so it made for some interesting conditions. Not mention I experienced 3 error99 codes from my 40D, the 1st time I had recieved them and my camera is upto 1400 shots. I think it was due to low OEM battery power and the battery meter was flickering for almost the whole shoot. Anyway here are the shots.

1. Canon 40D 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6. Canon 40D 24-70 f/2.8L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tennessee Landscape

Tennessee Landscape TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not done any portraits myself yet, but I would say that #6 is the only one I like.......the rest look too forced and awkward......But #6 is very nice, actually #7 is nice too....had to look again

3. Ajay

Ajay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cute girl. I think you did a pretty good job for your first time. One thing I would suggest is try to avoid having her stand straight on towards the camera. 9/10 times taking the shot from an angle will be much more flattering.
    Did you do any post processing besides converting 8 to black and white? There are some simple adjustments you could make that would really take advantage of the light you were working with.

I don't mind the wind blown hair - I think it looks nice for casual beach portraiture. I don't think I've ever been to a beach that wasn't windy.

2,7,8,10 look a little underexposed also.

All in all though, I think you've made a good start. Keep it up and keep practicing!

4. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    She is really beautiful. I think you are off to a good start. She did come across ad uncomfortable but I like 4 (exsept the cut off feet), 8 and 10 the best I think. If you post process a little bit you could make them even better

5. HoboSyke

HoboSyke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replys guys.

That 2nd shot was so overexposed, I literally saved it from nothing.

I shot these in RAW and converted them in CS3. Adjusted the exposures ect in the RAW window then once converted into JPEG I adjusted the levels slighty. Which post processing techniques could I have used that both of you suggested?

Thanks again. btw, I edited these on my iMac which has a pretty bright screen so what looks underexposed to you might have been fine on my screen?

6. Ajay

Ajay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, here's my go on #2. Says you're photos are ok to edit...

I used added adjustment layers for curves, brightness/contrast, and saturation. I added contrast in curves, then I did a shadow/highlight adjustment and lightned the shadows to keep her from being too dark. That took away a little contrast so I added a little more back. Then I adjusted the saturation to warm her up a bit. I also dodged around her eyes to keep them from being quite so dark. Just a quick 5-min edit so it could be better, but you can get an idea of some different things you can do. Oh, I also did a defog on the image using unsharp mask at 20-60-0.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ajay maybe just me but I really don't like your edit. I feel it's too much on an image that really has little wrong with it.

It does need a little lifting and contrast but saturation and the dodging have not really helped this. Obviously everyone sees images differently.

I really like 3 & 4 although I wish the feet weren't cut off in 4.

Good job for a first attempt :)

8. Ajay

Ajay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

That's ok. Everyone has a different style for editing - that ones mine. :)
    The only reason I did the dodging is because after I added contrast her eyes got a lot darker. And like I said, it was a quick edit so things might have gotten a little overdone in some areas.

9. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like how the shirt came out in edit but dont love the skin color...its orange on my screen

10. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I felt this one needed a closer crop. It looked very natural and I like her smile. I did just a touch with levels and curves....a bit of contrast as well. 45 seconds worth.

[​IMG]

I think some work with the eyes, maybe the skin, on this one and you have a winner.

11. Ajay

Ajay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Toned down the saturation a bit...any better? Might still need a slight adjustment in color balance....

[​IMG]

12. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, here is my JUST FOR KICKS reedits
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]