1st camera

I'm a total beginner, and I started with my dad's old Nikkormat FTn. It's great if you wanna learn the basics, and still be able to take great shots. Shouldn't be expensive ;P

bmxissofun said:
ok I'd like to get a cheap film camera. I'd mostly use it for taking pictures of my friends snowboarding and bikeing.

If you want a cheap autofocus SLR, something like a nikon F65 (N65 in 'merica) or canon rebel ti or rebel t2 will probably do it for you. Get a decent zoom lens with it, can't speak for nikon but I'm pretty happy with my canon EF 28-105mm USM II..

The other option would be a used manual camera like a canon A1 or nikon fm2n, though to be honest that can be more annoying for action shots (but then again, autofocus cameras can miss the shot by not focusing too).

I have a K1000 that I currently use for my photography class in high school. It is a very nice camera and I love to use it, but it probably wouldn't be ideal for pictures of biking or snowboarding. Action shots like those would need either a person who can adjust the controls really fast, or a fast autofocus and auto-exposure camera. The K1000 has 100% manual controls; no autofocus, no auto-exposure. It does have an internal light meter, but it will not adjust anything for you. You would have to learn how to use it and how to expose well, and even then you would most likely be unable to set the shutter speed, aperture size, and focus in the time it would take to get a good shot of a guy going by on a bike or snowboard.

I have to agree that you'll want at least a manual SLR. Any point and shoot will probably not have the recovery time nessecary to take fast action shots of sports.

One thing you might keep in mind is that when you buy a SLR camera you are also buying into a system. That means the lenses and other accessories that work with it. Most people have more money in lenses and things than the camera body it'self.

So if you buy one and might be getting into photography more later you should consider the issue of compatability. You may decide you want to get an Auto Focus body later. If you've bought some lenses for your first body it would be nice if they also worked on you Auto Focus body (although they would be manually operated).

Just something to consider when you make your decision.

Patrick - sup with sado-maso emoticons? The smiley on the left is clearly enjoying it :D

Cheers and BTT: :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back