1st Ever Maternity Shoot

Crystal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted some baby pics a while ago and got hammered about my harsh lighting, background choice and blah,blah, blah. Im a sensitive little thing and you people really knocked my already lacking self confidence.

So here’s my story. My hobby, passion, interest, whatever you want to call it is photography. The thing is the vision I have in my head of what I want my ability to be does not match my skill.... does that make sense?

Don’t worry I’m not here to become a pro and start a business – just want to improve and convey emotion through photography, I want to be good at it sooooo bad.

Anyway I’m looking for C&C with my maternity set (its my sister at 38 weeks) – I think it is my best yet. I listened to all the advice I got here last time and wanted to share.... P.S I can't post process to save my life, nothing much has been done there.
1.IMG_0648 by Indigo Ella, on Flickr
2.IMG_0638 by Indigo Ella, on Flickr
3.IMG_0626 by Indigo Ella, on Flickr
4.IMG_0582 by Indigo Ella, on Flickr
5.IMG_0603 by Indigo Ella, on Flickr

I think that you did really really well! The only nitpicks that I have is that in 1 she has grass in the lower right hand corner that is distracting in front of her face, and in 3, I just don't like the way she is posed or the composition. It almost looks like you just clicked the shutter when she wasn't ready. I think that you did so well though! I am not a big critiquer, but just a couple of things that got my attention!

I am definitely no critiquer because I'm new to this myself, and since I haven't seen what pics you posted before that got alot of criticism, I don't know what to compare. But I have to say I think these are really good for the most part. I agree that #3 isn't really composed well, but I love # 2 and the last one. :thumbup:

C&C per req:

Overall, this is not a bad set, especially in view of your stated goals and skill level. A few thoughts: Try and avoid centering the subject quite so much such as the first three. If you're going to have the subject looking away from the camera such as in 2&3, then include what they're looking at in the scene to help situate the viewer. Watch your exposure/WB - The first couple have some minor WB issues, easily corrected, and in #4 you've lost all detail in the black shirt.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I posted some baby pics a while ago and got hammered about my harsh lighting, background choice and blah,blah, blah. Im a sensitive little thing and you people really knocked my already lacking self confidence.

A couple of comments in the above quote.

First, the harsh criticism is the best criticism, as long as it contains some constructive elements. For example, when you were a kid, your.mom could tell you all day long that when the stove is red, it will burn you. You may or may not have retained that lesson, and might have to be reminded multiple times for it to sink in. Conversely, if you had actually touched the stove when the element was glowing red, you would learn the lesson fast, and permanently.

Next, on the intrawebs, you are more than likely going to need a tougher skin than most anywhere else. These keyboard jockeys can sometimes be a bit rough. That's mostly due to the fact that they don't have to look you in the eyes when they are berating you, and partly due to.the fact that they didn't get enough hugs as children.

Last, even if you do receive harsh criticism, there is almost always something you can take away from it. If all you get are a hand full of responses like "hey, that's swell!" You really aren't going to learn anything from it.

As far as your pics are concerned........ how does your sister like them? After all that's all that really matters, right?

These are lovely! #3, the posing is slightly awkward, and I think a slightly different perspective would have been a little more flattering, but good job overall!

Harsh criticism is often the best kind. You don't learn anything from being told what you're doing "right", you know? I think it should be a rule of thumb that if your skin isn't thick enough to withstand intense criticism, you probably shouldn't post for C&C on an internet forum ;). Trust me, the worst feedback is no feedback.

yesterday I shot my first one and I think u did better than me

Thanks Guys - I feel like I can take a lot on board from all your advice and improve from here.

Stradawhovious - I'm wanting "constructive" feedback so my "sooky la la" was about feedback that isn't "constructive", anyway as you stated these people weren't hugged as children, so I won't take it persoanlly now that I know this :lol:

Cheers guys!

I love them. 2 could be taken from good to AMAZING with some post processing!

Overall I like them. Alot. I like the warm tones and the BW conversions here. I'm sure your subject is happy. They need a bit of tweeking, but who of us doesn't?

1. Beautiful. Maybe a tighter crop on the head. A bit less red unless that is the processing you were going for.

2. Love. Love. Love

3. Her eyes are turned a little too far, but otherwise I love.

4. Perfection in my opinion.

5. Maybe a contrast boost?

Overall, super well done. Done lose heart!

I love them. 2 could be taken from good to AMAZING with some post processing!

Thanks - when I took it I was hoping I could get the sky to be all awesome...but I have no idea about post processing :er:
Do you have any pointers for me? I just did a subscription to lynda to watch tutorials on PP but I'm finding it hard to find the time, plus I want to know it all NOW, NOW, NOW (well just how to "pop" the sky).

I think they are all really great, the only thing I don't like is in #4 the out of focus hand on the left and the belly loses any detail, sort of turns into a black blob. 2 and 5 are my favorites.

I love the set. You're subject (sister) is pretty cute :sexywink:, lol. Great composition and I'd say my personal favorite is #2, although the rest are tired for 2nd :)

Most reactions

Back