1st Moon C&C

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so it was clear as can be, and a full moon tonight. I tried this once before and got squat for moon pictures. After reading some tips on here, I used live view on my XSI x10 and focused manually. I never realized that in live view you can adjust your exposure and shutter speed while viewing the screen. Amazing, When viewing on x10 you can watch the moon roll right out of the frame within seconds. I love this forum!

Heres two shots, no real composition just wanted the moons surfac. At my house there isn't much to frame with. I used the 55-250 IS lens and my 28-135mm with a Quantaray 2x teleconverter.

(I know basically the same focal length on the long end, just wanted to see if one took better than the other, especially with the teleconverter attached)

Both untouched except for the cropping.

28-135mm IS USM using 2x Quantaray Teleconverter
_MG_7869-2.jpg

55-255mm IS USM
_MG_7864-2.jpg

Last edited:
It isn't bad, just a bit soft focused. Not to put words in anyone's mouth but we do tend to get a lot of moon shots so some may be a little bit reluctant to comment.

yes, I agree it's a little soft. I sharpened a little and it looks better. Using live view is nice, but the shake at x10 trying to focus is difficult!

Ok I sharpened it a little. What do you think about the exposure? I shot these on my lowest F stop, and a faster shutter than I thought I would have to. I don't mean to bore anyone with another moon or flowe, but I have never had night shots turn out...at all!

F5.6 1/250 ISO 100 55-250mm @250mm
_MG_7864-2s.jpg

You aren't boring anyone ^_- sometimes people just don't feel like posting.

Yeah much better than before, looks like you forgot to unsharp mask the original?

I just moved them to a new folder in photobucket. I don't think I changed the original, I am on my phone now so I can't tell on this tiny screen!

I didn't change the original ever if thats what you meant. I just added the post above to show the sharpened image.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back