1st newbie picture C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cnutco, Mar 16, 2010.

1. cnutco

cnutco No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I had a film SLR back in the day and took a lot of snap shots of my daughter growing up. Last year I took the plunge to get a DSLR. I enjoy taking pictures and I am here to learn. I will also be attending classes in the very near future.

I took some pictures of my daughters first golf match this year. Although this is not my daughter. She was too nervous and asked if I not get too close to her.

I did not realize that I still had the WB set for inside a gym... DAMN. I tried to fix the best I could in PP.

Camera: Nikon D90
    Lens: Nikon 70-200MM F2.8 G ED VR II (1st shoot with this)
    Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Focal Length: 200 mm
    ISO Speed: 500
    Exposure Program: Shutter speed priority AE
    Light Source: White Fluorescent

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. giffary

giffary TPF Noob!

For me, it's a good picture but WB not more realistic.

3. The Shoe

The Shoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I forgot to set my white balance to flash when I had my old Canon flash on my D90, so my first few pictures at a party were rather blueish. I used to shoot a film slr casually, too, so it seems I'm on a similar path as you.

I like the photo, even with knowing the tree on the right is close to the camera, it still feels like it's large enough for the woman to completely hide behind, and it adds even more depth to a shot the would usually be taken with open green to her right. Also, the colour doesn't bother me.

4. shortpballer

shortpballer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That 70-200 2.8G VR II is an amazing lens by the way!!!! you should sell the 18-200 (covers most of the range you already have) and get a 24-70.. those are the only two lenses I ever use.

5. cnutco

cnutco No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That was my thoughts too. But, If my wife or my daughter use my camera for any reason I will keep the 18 - 200 for them. I have insurance on the whole lot but i like to be safe. The 18 - 200 VR is a great lens for almost any situation for snap shots.

I do plan to get the 24 - 70 2.8 in a few months after I get a SB600 and a grip.

AND, yes this 70-200 2.8G VR II is an amazing lens! I will be shooting another golf match today with it.

Here two more from the same day above... same damn WB issue. Not as good as the first one, but I like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're doing great. I now always shootin RAW +JPEG. I find JPEG gives me what I need for most situaition, but have the RAW to fall back on if I need it. Especially for WB issues.

Your doing great with that lens, I have the first version, but would love the secon 70-200 2.8 for the better VR. I do a lot of stage work around 1/125 and 200mm so the VR2 would help me.

7. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Not too bad, but where are the action shots?