1st shots from bronica

zachbmx89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, i just got a bronica sq-a about a week ago and a vivitar 285hv flash. this is the first time i have ever shot with a flash. please critique the lighting, compostion, exposure, etc...

ilford 100iso
f2.8 @ 1/8 or 1/15 (i cant remember)

Touble with MF is its limited DOF and usefulness for sport type shots, F2.8 is a no go unless your focusing is spot on, try f8-11 for greater depth and pre-focus on the take off ramp, this will keep your subject sharp, if using a prism finder and can follow the action better still, I'm not familiar with the flash but I suggest a metz ct60 or 45 used at sync speed to freeze the action. I'me a pro who used to use bronnies and can tell you, you have your work cut out, they're not designed for this type of work.

take 2, If your on a tripod, lock the camera on bulb as he peddles towards the ramp using f8-11 again and fire the flash manually just at take off, it'll still be trial n error I'm afraid but you could get a surprise.

thanks for the input. im getting another flash in the mail and it should be enough light to move up a few fstops. and the fact medium formats have less depth of field is actually a good thing for me, i like to isolate the subject most of the time. oh ya, im still getting used to panning the opposite way because of the mirrored viewfinder. any more input would be great.

I respectfully disagree mf isnt the depth of field problem its the 2.8 fstop.

Im not aware of any difference in the dof but I'm sure that if there is I will hear about it.

You need at least a f8 depth of field on something like this i do agree. the 285 if set on automatic with 400 speed film has about a 30ft auto exposure at 8 I believe. Yes prefocus on the spot you plan to shoot.

Try faster film to get more dof. The difference between 100 and 400 iso film on mf is negligable. That's a pretty hefty light and distance with 400 speed film. A second light is always a good idea but you should be able to get get good focus with just one.

thanks, ill pick up some 400iso for night shots like these. i have a light meter also, which would probably be better than setting the flash on auto, am i correct?

what you should do is set the shutter speed on the camera at the flash sync. you dont need to worry about the exisiting light.... set the aperture of the camera for the recomended one on the stobe and use the strobe on the auto... probably the orange setting... Be sure you set the sensor in the front to the same setting as the one you put your camera on.... I dont have mine in front of me but the instructions book has all this in it.

That is for night shots you do have to worry about the exisiting light in daylight situations.

The sensor is in the front the calulator is the where you find your aperture setting. Good luck

The subject is totally blown out and out of focus if your flash is powerful enough wich in this case it surely is you can go down to 5.6 or 8 without much problem I think the real problem with this image is, you are not using the right tool for the right job a medium format camera like this is not really made to shoot this kind of shot. But, if you are determined to use it try pre-focusing on the subject area a manual-focus camera would be very difficult to focus on a fast moving subject like this.

In the old days it was called zone focus where you set the camera to be in focuse between say ten and twenty feet pick a spot in that zone to trip the lens.

Photogs who did weddings in the old days did that a lot for the bride and groome coming back down the aisle.

hop bars off the ledge into the street? He kindof has a eddie cleveland style barspin. You probably need a faster shutter speed and more dof. I have trouble with my riding shots in low light because it is hard to get a fast enouhg shutter. Judging the gap he was probably moving fast. good luck

hahaha, i love the comments about how i need a auto focus camera. i always prefocus on where the subject is going to be before the shot but it the first night with flashs and i kinda just forgot. next time i shoot ill try to get a higher aperature and shutterspeed. thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

Back