1st shots w/ new lens.

Dan28607

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got a new lens yesterday and thought I would post a couple of shots! Its the Sigma 70-300mm APO lens. Thanks!

DSC_1414re.jpg

DSC_1425re.jpg

I am happy with it so far. But I havent really done much with it yet. I can say this. Its seems like its almost a must to use a tripod with this lens when zoomed to around 135mm and higher. But thats probably just me with my unsteady hands. Put it on a tripod though and it seems pretty good for the money!

For zoom photos, a tripod or monopod is a good thing to have handy. Anytime you fall below a 1/60 of a second, they are essensial.

Cool. Nice colour, contrast and bokeh. Good purchase. :thumbup:

Excuse me if I'm stating the bleeding obvious but as a rule of thumb to retain sharp shots hand held you should tyry to keep you shutter speed equal to or greater than your focal length (taking into account the crop factor). So for the first one at 300mm on a 1.5 crop factor Nikon = 450mm so you should be looking for a shutter speed of 1/500sec.

Lucky you, Dan: you get this new lens and the birds stay put for you to take their photo. Must be your personality or what. With me, no matter how much I extend my 70-300mm zoom, I never get as good photos of birds as you did here!!! Congratulations!

Mohain said:
Excuse me if I'm stating the bleeding obvious but as a rule of thumb to retain sharp shots hand held you should tyry to keep you shutter speed equal to or greater than your focal length (taking into account the crop factor). So for the first one at 300mm on a 1.5 crop factor Nikon = 450mm so you should be looking for a shutter speed of 1/500sec.

Oh, you techno photographers...God luv ya!:hug::

Mohain said:
Cool. Nice colour, contrast and bokeh. Good purchase. :thumbup:

Thanks! Didnt know that!:thumbup:

Thanks LaFoto. This is a tree right off of my back deck with feeders in it so im pretty close to the birds even without the zoom. But yes, for what ever reason they arent scared!:D

Looks good. Have fun.

I..am..so..envious. Great shots Dan.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back