1st shots with the new camera.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Clickr, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Clickr

Clickr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all, I'm Chase. I'm totally new to photography but have some video experience. I purchased a Canon T1i from ebay to shoot HD video and snap pics for a local website. It's been a great camera so far. :thumbup:

Here's a few shots I took over the past week.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm using the standard kit lens and photoshop cs4 for post.

Thanks for viewing! :mrgreen:

2. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They're all really dark. Don't really care for the PP work either (not a fan of overprocessed images and selective coloring).

3. Clickr

Clickr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ya they are but I think it fits. I did alot of PP because the shots are a bit boring to me.

4. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well you just need to work on photographing better angles or in a perspective that makes the shot interesting. Most of what I shoot (not saying I am great) doesn't get any PP done, and if it does its very minimal. You can't change the perspective of the shot with PP and IMO at least the perspective is what makes the shot interesting.

5. WesVFX

WesVFX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think they look very nice... I also just got my T1i. LOVE IT!

6. Clickr

Clickr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm about having my own style, there are no rules to art IMHO. There's plenty of ways to make a photo "perfect" but there's only one way to make it yours. :thumbup:

7. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hey chase, glad to have you on the forum!

you just said these are a bit boring to you, and it happens sometimes, but just keep up the work and i'm sure you'll find something you like, and a style to accompany it.

8. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are different target audiences for your art. If all you're concerned with is making yourself happy with your work, then you're on easy street. :) If you want to do something that inspires others and makes people go "wow, I wish I had shot that" then you have your work cut out for you (like the rest of us).

I wish all I cared about was impressing myself... but then I'm probably a worse critic of my work than other people are. I have maybe 3 or 4 images I'm really-really happy with, the rest are lacking in some way. So I push myself harder and harder, studying the work of other photographers that I admire and trying to build my skills so that others look at my images and think "wow, I wish I had taken that."

You said you found your images to be boring. I agree, the subjects and angles are rather bland. The post editing, IMHO, doesn't help at all. I think the post editing is making them worse. The over processing makes them way too dark, grainy and even less interesting.

Don't get discouraged. Heck, you should see some of my first images... I'm embarrassed to even look at them now. It seems when you first get a camera you just point it at everything and don't really think much about composition, angles, lighting, and other minor details that all add up.

Keep shooting. You'll eventually figure out your own unique style. Don't try "saving" pictures through editing. Approach it by getting a great picture first then editing it to make it amazing. You'll never get anywhere taking boring pictures and trying to make them exceptional... there's more to the equation than just editing.

9. hopdaddy

hopdaddy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Good advise to all of us" noobs":thumbup:

10. Thru_These_Eyes

Thru_These_Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum!

I think your shots have great potential. (Beautiful animals by the way!) but I agree with everyone about PP being the least of your concern when shooting. I am not even good at Photoshop so I have no choice but to depend entirely on getting a great shot from the start. The photo of your cat is by far the best of the group. I am not a fan of selective coloring. It's a sure fire way to let viewers know that PP work has been done to it. I really enjoy photos (PP-ed or Not) that are exceptional but you can't quite tell that they have been edited. I would try taking the same shot, but at different angles. Make your subject off center in the frame. You always want to make sure that the viewers eye goes directly to the subject. I would also suggest making your goal::Have great shots before you throw it in PS.

Great Start though! =)

11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Tharmsen had great advice for all of us.

You're correct that there are no 'rules' to art. However, there are many, time tested art guidelines that will more often than not enhance your style rather than cramp it.

12. Clickr

Clickr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks all! Here are a few more I took yesterday. I'm also working on a short video clip.

[​IMG][​IMG]