1st time as a professional!!!

Did you know the boy and the men?

~Michael~

GOOD question.

I'm wondering WHY you would do that and why your employer would agree?

-Pete

Only reason I ask is because I am wondering why you bought rights to the images if you didin't know the people. I don't think legally you should be able to buy these images, even though you shot them.

I'm going to second what most everyone else here said. As far as the shots of the two men in question...regardless of their sexual preference, they are still men, and you don't want to shoot men in feminine poses. Things like a tilted head or a hand angled a certain way take away from the masculinity you want to portray.

Doens't matter to me what their preference is, I'm just concerned the OP bought the images

What did you pay for the rights to these images. Was it JUST these images or the whole session - both for the boy and men?

~Michael~

For now, I'm just going to assume that you do know them - friend of the family, or whatever. (Buying portraits of strangers would be a little weird...)

I would try to do some sort of reshoot, at a place of your choosing. Try some different poses, and all that - you can even try some different settings on your camera, lol! (I don't think I could shuffle people in and out of a seat day in and day out just to press a button for very long...)

~Michael~

GOOD question.

-Pete

Only reason I ask is because I am wondering why you bought rights to the images if you didin't know the people. I don't think legally you should be able to buy these images, even though you shot them.

I'm going to second what most everyone else here said. As far as the shots of the two men in question...regardless of their sexual preference, they are still men, and you don't want to shoot men in feminine poses. Things like a tilted head or a hand angled a certain way take away from the masculinity you want to portray.

Doens't matter to me what their preference is, I'm just concerned the OP bought the images

What did you pay for the rights to these images. Was it JUST these images or the whole session - both for the boy and men?

~Michael~

I was only referring to the shot itsself, since everyone else was commenting on the oddity of purchasing the photos/rights. Now, I will say, when I worked at a studio, we had the lights preset and the camera preset, but we were free to shoot and pose as we judged appropriate. The studio I worked at was for kids, and we had 15-30 minute sessions, so there wasn't a lot of time to get fancy, so I can understand what the OP had to work with.
And I did purchase several photos that I shot at said studio. I did not buy the rights, and I did get exclusive permission from the parents to use the shots I took for my portfolio, and only for my portfolio. I got permission to buy prints because I was proud of my work and wanted to display what I could do for potential other clients. In that light, it doesn't seem so odd to me.

"Things like a tilted head or a hand angled a certain way take away from the masculinity you want to portray."

Theyr'e gay, how "masculine" is that. H

anybody see "one hour photo" with robin williams? *shudder*

~Michael~

GOOD question.

-Pete

The boy is my son. The men are two of my best friends. I bought the CD and photos of them for a present and got the okay from them. I would not illegally post pictures on the internet and would not post random people's pics without release. I think I am just going to delete this post because obviously this is not 'professional' to anyone but myself. Sorry.

GOOD question.

-Pete

~Michael~

I was only referring to the shot itsself, since everyone else was commenting on the oddity of purchasing the photos/rights. Now, I will say, when I worked at a studio, we had the lights preset and the camera preset, but we were free to shoot and pose as we judged appropriate. The studio I worked at was for kids, and we had 15-30 minute sessions, so there wasn't a lot of time to get fancy, so I can understand what the OP had to work with.
And I did purchase several photos that I shot at said studio. I did not buy the rights, and I did get exclusive permission from the parents to use the shots I took for my portfolio, and only for my portfolio. I got permission to buy prints because I was proud of my work and wanted to display what I could do for potential other clients. In that light, it doesn't seem so odd to me.

THANK YOU!!!!! At least someone understands.

~Michael~

GOOD question.

-Pete

The boy is my son. The men are two of my best friends... I would not illegally post pictures on the internet and would not post random people's pics without release.

Oh, I don't think legality was ever a concern. We're just curious if you know these folks. It would be odd that you would buy these images if they were merely of random customers. Mystery solved.

I think I am just going to delete this post because obviously this is not 'professional' to anyone but myself. Sorry.

No need to do that. You're getting some honest feedback. How else can you grow?

Good luck.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back