1st time of photographing birds

ben306

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took the long way home on Friday and walked through the parks and along the waterfront to try and mess with the camera properly after only owning it for 24hrs, managed to get a few pictures Im chuffed with, C&C's welcome, just want to progress with it now.

Birds

P1020818.jpg

P1020808.jpg

P1020791.jpg

P1020790.jpg

P1020766.jpg

P1020765.jpg

Waterfowl

P1020844.jpg

P1020781.jpg

P1020780.jpg

These were all shot with the Panasonic DMC-FZ18?

There is a bit of noise in most of the images and they're all a little overexposed.

Most of the pictures have centered subjects. This makes the picture look static and boring.

I think #3, #4 and #5 are the best of the bunch. Filling the frame with the subject (#3 and #4) or off-setting the subject (#5) and the diagonal compositional elements make them stand out from the rest.

What shooting mode were you using? I noticed that some of the pictures are using an ISO of 400...much too high considering the amount of light available. With a camera like yours you want to try and use the lowest ISO settings as much as possible to avoid noise in your pictures. On P&S cameras the image sensor is small and tends to be noisy even at moderate ISO settings. The last 3 pictures used an ISO of 100 and have very little noise. The other pictures are using and ISO between 125 and 500 and have lots of noise in them, especially the first picture. Noise degrades image quality and if you tried to print these at 8 X 10 they'd probably look pretty bad.

Thanks for the comments, I'll take that on board, Like I said Im still getting use to the camera, was using it on A mode (Apature priority) so Im pretty sure the ISO is automatically selected, but Ill double check and try and get it alot lower for future shots.

Most reactions

Back