1st time posting yada yada C & C please?

mesuky2012

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were taken with my Nikon D40, with the lens that came with the camera...kit lens, is that right? Bare with me. Some of these are slightly photoshopped and some not at all.

DSC_3241_2.jpg

^I particularly like this photo. I think the composition is nice and the colors turned out fantastic.

Dsc_0596.jpg

^Lake Como, Italy. I go between thinking it's underexposed to thinking I like the shadows, since it was taken around 4:30 or so in the afternoon

DSC_2169.jpg

^taken in Louisville, KY. I balanced the camera on a ledge. Wish I'd had my tripod. No mirror lock-up, which is something I need to learn how and when to utilize. I used the bulb setting; that's the only time I've used it.

DSC_3017.jpg

^much needed C&C for this photo. This was around sunset, but the colors (lack thereof) leave much to be desired. I wish I remember what white balance I was using. I'm thinking of investing in some kind of lens hood...would a lens hood have had much of an effect on this photo?

Thanks guys. I like these pictures a lot, but I still have lots I want and need to learn!! Especially about using flash and taking pictures indoors.....etc. etc.

i guess i'll comment :) i'm no pro though, i'm learning myself haha.

first photo: nice colours and okay composition, but the shot isnt doing much to keep my attention. the plants are also a bit distracting

second photo: could be sharper, a little too busy so its kinda hard to tell what you're trying to draw attention to

third photo: i really like this one, i think it could be sharper, but i know thats a little hard when using a longer shutterspeed haha. loving the smoke and fireworks, however the fireworks to me seem a little TOO bright, they've got a glow around them that makes some of them look like a messy mass of coloured light.

fourth photo: my favourite of this set, i think it could benefit from a crop though, maybe get rid of some water to bring the boat closer to the viewer, and also cut off a little bit of the left to get rid of some dead space and also bring the boat closer. really liking the shillouette and the colours, but i feel as if it'd benefit from a slight increase in saturation so the colours are brought out a bit more. also, the bright spot directly above the boat is a little distracting.

good stuff nonetheless :p

I think the fireworks one would have truned out alot cooler with a longer shutter :D but then yeah you would have wanted a tripod like you said.
I love the colours in the first one too :D

My 2 cents:

I wish number one was a wider shot. I feel like there is more to see than what you shot and I want to see it, as a viewer. It's cool though, definitely my favorite.

I think you would have gotten better colors in the last one had you shot it a little bit later. Judging by the position of the sun. Just a guess though, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Very nice shots! For me, one little thing I would have changed in photo #2 is to pan to the right a little, that way you would cut out the building that is in shade. Not sure what was off to the right though, maybe something not so nice!

I like the first one. The slanted balance between the wall and sky is nice.

The second one is ok but nothing really jumps out at me. I'd like it better with fewer boats but that's hardly your fault.

Was the third one taken from the Belvedere? I like it but agree a tripod and longer shutter speed would have helped. I wouldn't want to carry a tripod to Thunder either though.

The last I like as is. I disagree that you should bring the boat closer as it looks more isolated and lonely this way.

The second one is ok but nothing really jumps out at me. I'd like it better with fewer boats but that's hardly your fault.

Was the third one taken from the Belvedere? I like it but agree a tripod and longer shutter speed would have helped. I wouldn't want to carry a tripod to Thunder either though.

The last I like as is. I disagree that you should bring the boat closer as it looks more isolated and lonely this way.

Ditto.

Thanks everyone! I was kind of nervous anticipating the responses, especially since I consider these my best shots. I have to start shooting indoor photos (and some outdoor) of PEOPLE, which I just am not super comfortable with I guess, and I'm going to be browsing the forum looking for tips.

1,3,and 4 are great. Great colors, composition and exposure.

The fireworks shot would be better with a longer shutter, but still cool.

The second is kinda washed out and not too sharp, probably because it was shot at a time of day when the light was so harsh.

Nice work though.

Your second and last ones could do without a bit of sky in it. First one, not rocking it - but the rest, good show.

Ditto.

ditto again

1. makes me feel like a gnome because of the low perspective. haha. but its still a cool photo because the colors are great!

2. a bit too busy for me... kinda hard to see what you were trying to capture.

3. looks like a good location. a longer shutter would help show the fireworks more.

4. i like the color and the silhouette of the boat & people.

I think you've gotten enough critique so...I like them will have to do. :thumbup: #1 and #4 are my favorites. The balance between the left and right is very intriguing.

Most reactions

Back