1st Timer

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by Hartley, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Hartley

Hartley TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    OK, I'm a noob, but I thought I'd be bold enuff to see if some of my favorite fotos appeal to anyone else..:D

I'm in Arizona, so sunsets are a big deal here - this one is from last year.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And here is one from another place entirely..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I haven't manipulated these two in any way other than resizing and a tiny crop.

Hartley

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. mobius121

mobius121 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beautiful sunsets! I like how the second one leads your eyes down the beach and over to the sunset. The person is a little distracting, may work better with them completely cropped out. Just my opinion though, and I am learning as well ;)

Keep it up, you can only get better! Not a bad start at all.

3. Hartley

Hartley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, Mobius! The YL in the Cayman picture is my wife, so the "domestic" version will retain her..;) But I agree it is a distraction for everyone else..

I think I probably started out in the wrong forum - I have some more questions, but I'll move it over to the "newbie" forum :D

Hartley

4. mobius121

mobius121 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am sure it is alright to post here with any critique requests you need ;) Glad I could be of help ^^

5. Fedaykin

Fedaykin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the first one's colors. Only thing I would have done differently is include more of the ground and exclude that cloud right up top in the foreground.

Second is excellent except for the girl, since she's not properly exposed she's kinda distracting.

My 2 cents.

6. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with what everyone is saying so far except that it might have been interesting to see your wife completely in the frame, watching the sunset. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in beautiful landscapes that we forget to add that little bit of context. With her completely in frame, it wouldn't win any photo competitions or anything like that, but would probably make an awesome keepsake and something to hang on the wall.

Remember, if you follow all of the "rules" to taking good pictures all the time, then your photos will just look like every other photo out there. When I go out to shoot sunsets and landscapes, I always take at least a frame or two with me in the shot. I never show the shot, but I have it to look at as something of a reminder that I was actually there, and that I actually saw this and shot it.

Having your wife in frame gives you that sentimental aspect of the shot that you would never get by doing what everyone tells you to do.

7. Hartley

Hartley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OK, I 'll ask it here - is there a particular image size (or size range) that is optimal for posting on this forum? I sorta SWAG'd those two, and I'm not entirely happy with the perceived resolution - but clearly the 2-3 mB originals aren't the right way, either!

Thanks for the comments, Fedaykin - like I told Mobius, the girl is my wife, so she will remain in the "domestic" version at least..:mrgreen: Those colors in that sunset are nice - the contrast between the deep blue and the brilliant orange really makes it work for me. I take a lot of sunsets, and the blue sky is not common, it's usually washed out blue or so dark it really isn't much blue anymore. Example:

[​IMG]

Hartley

8. Fedaykin

Fedaykin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree, this would have been better.

9. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

both shots could benefit from a little creative post processing, but otherwise, not bad.

10. Hartley

Hartley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all for the kind words..:blushing:

My wife likes the shot from Cayman is very much - in fact, she is having me print a copy to put on the wall in her office - I'm sure her presence in it helps..;) It has a companion sunrise picture, taken from almost the same spot, looking East instead - very much the same sort of muted colors, but she was still in bed when I took it, so she isn't in it.

I have PSE 8, but I have not really done much with it other than to resize and crop. I've attempted to use it to bring some <really hot> sunsets back up to where my memory says they looked - the "liquid iron" clouds and jet-black silhouetted hills have just too much dynamic range for the camera to get it, but my attempts to "improve" them seem rather garish to me..
    Bitter, I would be very interested in what you would do with these sunsets, particularly the first, as it is more typical of the ones I see & photograph. (tho any & all advice & critique is welcome and appreciated!)

Oh - anyone have any thoughts on the size question?

Hartley

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  11. pezuzaine

pezuzaine TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    for a noob... that's pretty damn good. esp the first one.

12. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

generally i would just suggest a little sharpening/contrast adjustment/dodging/burning, but it really depends on what you like.

here. i just applied a couple of different levels of adjustment, to show how drastic of an effect a small adjustment can make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]