1stpostevr - Mark II or D700?

RMT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
New to the site. New to the forum.

My first question. I've been shooting for little over a year now and is hoping to branch away from my mid range a350 and HVL-F58AM Flash. I'm thinking big at the moment; Canons EOS 5D Mark II and the D700. I'm I over shooting right now, is there a body I should be considering first before I drop 3 grand, is there an "introduction" model of either brand I should be looking at? Say like the 7D or 50D or the Nikon D90? Also, what is the preference (canon or nikon) and why?

Depends on what kinds of things you wish to have the camera be optimal for...the Nikon has a better AF system, faster firing rate, faster response times overall, a built-in flash and flash commander, and is well, a Nikon. The Canon has a lower-specified camera body, slower frame rate, and is a bit sluggish in terms of viewfinder blackout times and shutter lag times, but has a higher megapixel sensor and shoots great video on a huge (for video) sensor, no has no built-in flash or commander, and is well, a Canon.

If you are going full-frame, both of these are the entry-level bodies for their respective camera makers. If you are as you put it, "thinking big at the moment", it make sense to set your sight on either the 5D-II or the D700. Both bodies are quite different, in many categories. You'll have to pick one of those two, or shell out big bucks for anything higher-spec'd in the full-frame category.

Pay your money, take your pick.

The Canon 7D and the Nikon D300s would be the bodies right below those two. Much lower prices. Either of those could be a good choice if you do not mind a crop-sensor body, or want a crop-sensor body.

It's best to think of it this way, because the 5D Mark II and D700 are two completely different cameras for different purposes. Anyone who has used both (extensively) would agree.

The 5DII is awesome if you're working in the studioand shooting landscapes, there is 21MP for a ton of detail, especially when you pair it up with the best of Canon's stellar prime lenses. The 5D is also great for production video and other situations that aren't particularly fast pace.

The 5D isn't quite built as well, almost no weather sealing, has a slow framerate, and pedestrian AF for a $3000 camera.

The D700 is awesome for the studio and landscapes too. It's got no noise at all at ISO 100 and 200 and has a ton of dynamic range. The D700 also shoots 8fps, has full weather sealing, has a magnesium body (not just the top deck like on the 5D) and has 51 AF points that can track by color.

However the D700 is a pretty heavy body, has 9 fewer MP, and doesn't shoot video.

Generally, Nikon's wide angle lenses are better (14-24, 16-35VR, 24 f/1.4), Canon has some midrange primes that Nikon doesn't have (35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.2, 28mm f/1.8), and the telephotos are pretty even.

Can't go wrong with either honestly.

Alot of people who i have talked to generally say the D700 is the better camera overall. video aside, the D700 is the more versatile and robust body. A good chunk of those people were prior or current 5DII owners/users.

Most reactions

Back