-2/3 exposure adjustment

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by malkav41, Jul 29, 2008.

1. malkav41

malkav41 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. and have run across something that has me scratching my noggin. He makes a reference to, as he calls it, Mr. Green Jeans (the sky brother's cousin). It refers to setting either your aperture or shutter speed till it reads -2/3 from what the meter tells you is right. This is all well and good if you have a camera/lens that is adjustable in 1/3 increments, but what if your camera/lens is only adjustable in 1/2 increments? How do you do this adjustment?

Thanks in advance,
    Edward

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm if I am right this is a guide value by him for dayshooting to help prevent blowouts -- if you can't do 2/3 just use either 1/2 or a full stop less. I have often found a full stop less can work well - granted you will be adding light in editing later, but that is a lot easier than taking away a blowout (which often you can't lose as the details are not present to restore to)

3. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's an earlier thread on the same subject: link.
    See the last post in the thread.

BP should start sending some of his earnings from the book to TPF as a thankyou for all the recommendations and clarifications that get posted here.

Best,
    Helen