2 enter or not 2 enter - local fair photography contest

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by msf, Sep 1, 2009.

1. msf

msf TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ive been trying to decide if I should enter the local fair's photo contest. The main reason for doing it is for name recognition, but I dont think the names will be that large. And appearantly a ton of people enter a ton of pictures, mostly are not so good, so im not sure I want to be associated with that sort of contest.

The prize payout for first place is $3 I believe. $2 for 2nd and $1 for 3rd. doesnt even cover the cost of gas to go there to drop the picture off before the fair so I dont have to pay the crazy gate price.

Do you all enter the local fair's photo contest?

2. EleanorW

EleanorW TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I did this summer, just for a chance to have the judge critique it. I found it very educational and ended up knowing a lot more for going.... even got an honourable mention :)

3. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From my materialistic outlook on contests, no. $3.00 is not worth your time.

4. J Rock

J Rock TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had to re-read that a couple of times. THREE dollars! lol Might as well give you a gold star sticker on it.

5. Jeffro

Jeffro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would have to say do it. Have you entered in any competitions yet. Hell I do free ones just for fun! Never know who you meet because of it or who the judges might be. Do it for the love of Photography

6. msf

msf TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I wouldnt be doing it to get rich. : )

If I were to enter, I wonder if I should stick a business card in the frame corner. :)

Also a local place *well an hour away so not to local* had an ad on craigslist asking for local artists to submit thier work to be sold in their store. Apperantly they only ask 20% of the sale price, no other fees. :) I may have to submit some work for that. :)

7. J Rock

J Rock TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was playing with the money thing. I will say that I have submitted my own photos to a couple of contest here in the small town I live in also. My reason for doing it was to get feedback on where I am now and also as mentioned to meet others in my area. By no means is my stuff quality to sell so I am grateful to get the chance for others to see my stuff. Good luck to you if you do decide to enter.

8. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I've judged a couple of times. That might be the way to go if you're a working pro.

-Pete

9. kayliana

kayliana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I entered some of my photos in our local fair. Some of them got 10/10 but didn't win. I found the ones they really love are of little kids. More of a "cute" factor, not on how good the actual picture is. I'm not an expert at photography at all, but I was definitely suprised at some of the pictures they picked to win, they looked like snap shots. Anyways, good luck, hope this helps :)

10. MACollum

MACollum TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This will be my third year entering in our fair. The prizes are not much, I just do it for fun. I like to look at all the pictures and see how my pictures compare with the other amateurs. Our show is limited to amateurs. Last time I got a ribbon for 7th place for one and an honorable mention on another. My first year my pictures were dreadful but many of the pictures aren't very good. I find it to be a lot of fun though.