2 lenses vs 1 ?

glunnen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife is considering purchasing a Nikon D80. She has to make a decision about the lenses to purchase as well. She can purchase:

(A) a 18mm-200mm (3.5-5.6)

or

(B) a 18mm-55mm (3.5-5.6) AND a 55mm-200mm (4.5-5.6)

Option (A) will cost about $300 more. Her photographer friend is advising her to go with this more expensive option because she won't have two lenses to carry around or have to switch lenses when taking pictures.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

I do not know much about the three lenses mentioned. but when it comes to distortion and other optical problems, "the shorter the zoom range, the better the image quality " is a general trend. of course there are exceptions to this. but I could not live with such an ultra zoom, in particular when photographing architecture.

the fun thing about SLRs is that you can switch lenses ;)

Hello and Welcome!

The first question is, does you wife like to tinker with her cameras? If she gets a kick out of adjusting lenses and attachments for special shots then the 2 lens set up should be the way to go (assuming that the 55-200 is the VR model)

I don't own any of the 3 lenses mentioned (have only shot the 18-55) but have heard a lot more people praising the 18-200 than sniffing at it. :)

Either way, she will be a happy woman!

mike

Personally I would not touch any of the 3 lenses you mentioned. If the 2 lens set you are talking about are the "G" lenses they are both really cheap lenses and I mean cheap in the sense that they are plastic and poorly constructed. As far as the 55-200 it is far too long a range to get a quality lens. You might tell her to consider this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/277219-USA/Nikon_2145_24_120mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_IF_AF_S.html the 24-120VR lens this is a good compromise between good range and still not being too long to avoid quality problems.

The 24-120 is a nice lens too, especially if you pick up a 12-24mm down the line (24mm really isn't that wide-but it's a great range none the less). A Tokina 12-24mm is around $500 and covers the wide end quite nicely.

But again, what does you wife like to shoot?

mike

Thanks for the advice so far. I should have been more specific about the lenses. They are:

AF-S NIKKOR G DX VR 18-200 F3.5-5.6

and

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G ED II
AF-S ZM NIKKOR DX VR 55-200 F4.5-5.6

Go with the 18-200. The 18-55 and 55-200 are optically junk and the 18-200 is about the same, but has real AF-S and VR. Not only that, but she may not ever need to interchange lenses.

I'll agree with switch. Having two lenses would be better but not two bad lenses. The major problem with the two lenses in your choice is that they are cheap Chinese products with plastic focusing mechanisms. I don't know about the super zoom but it is bound to be better. Two good lenses covering that range would cost over $2500 so the price difference is pretty dramatic.

Hi guys, I have a hypothetical question for you. If the OP's wife doesn't use the camera enough to wear out the plastic or prints beyond 8X10 and just wants 2 lenses (I have no idea on this of course) why should she go into debt or further debt to practice her hobby by spending a significant amount more for a lens with a better build quality?

Wouldn't her money be better spent on a flash or quality prints or a different range of lens? How about a decent tripod and head- that will give as much quality to a shot as most 'good' lenses. If she were a pro or an experienced (read serious) photographer wouldn't she already be in the market for the 'good' lenses?

Just asking.

mike

Hi guys, I have a hypothetical question for you. If the OP's wife doesn't use the camera enough to wear out the plastic or prints beyond 8X10 and just wants 2 lenses (I have no idea on this of course) why should she go into debt or further debt to practice her hobby by spending a significant amount more for a lens with a better build quality?

Wouldn't her money be better spent on a flash or quality prints or a different range of lens? How about a decent tripod and head- that will give as much quality to a shot as most 'good' lenses. If she were a pro or an experienced (read serious) photographer wouldn't she already be in the market for the 'good' lenses?

Just asking.

mike

Given that line of thought, then she should just get one cheap lens - the 18-55. The question was should she get a superzoom or two cheap zooms, not should she get a tripod or flash unit.

Every photographer should have a tripod anyway, and a speedlight doesn't hurt.

Thanks for all that have responded to date. This is the "wife". I am an amateur photographer that has been using a point and shoot. I'd like to move to a SLR and was considering a Nikon D40x or D80. Using the old adage of buying the best that you can afford, I have chosen the D80. Considering this and the fact that this will be all new to me, I am trying to choose a half decent lens that will do a lot while I am learning. I also plan to take a course and expect that if I improve and use the camera a lot, I may buy better lenses in the future. Also, being a beginner, I don't know if I want to be out there carrying multiple lenses and having to change them. Hope this better explains my situation. Thanks again.

OK. My two pennyth.
I am a Canon man, and know little or nothing about Nikon (Apart from the obvious that thay are VERY good cameras).

In the old days, it was said, buy the best camera you can, It will last you years and give good service. Back this up with good quality glass and top quality film. The rest is up to you...

These days (If you are digital) you can still buy Fuji Velvia, but loading it could be a problem (And if you DO get it in the camera you may find that this is just the start of your problems !).

The camera bodies are changing so quickly that it is really true, that if you see one in the shops, it is already out of date. So buying an entry level (or at least a cheaper) body which will give good service for a year or two, is a real option. You can then use the hard earned to buy better quality glass, which WILL last a long time. And the update the body as new stuff becomes available.
In the 80s I was using pro-spec bodies and loving it. But with base level DSLRs having 10 megapixels. Good glass will give you results that any pro would be proud of. Unless of course you plan on shooting 2 or three hundred shots a day seven days a week . The glass will be better quality with faster response in both speed and auto focus. I.S. as well. The only things you are liable to loose are fringing, bland colours and lack of contrast...
Whatever you choose if you stick to a good name like Nikon, you will not go far wrong.

Whatever you choose if you stick to a good name like Nikon, you will not go far wrong.

well, neither the brand name Nikon nor Canon guarantee good glass ... both companies have excellent and horrible glass in their line.

and as for the entry level camera, I agree partially.

Some entry level cams do not have miorror lockup, good spot metering and the like ... features, if needed, you will miss a lot then.

well, neither the brand name Nikon nor Canon guarantee good glass ... both companies have excellent and horrible glass in their line.

and as for the entry level camera, I agree partially.

Some entry level cams do not have miorror lockup, good spot metering and the like ... features, if needed, you will miss a lot then.

you never miss what you never have had and the D80 has more then enough to keep her learning for a wile about a lens use the same judgment you did with your camera try and buy the best you can afford it will not go to wast as long as you use it vr is always a good idea do not be intimidated to change lenses dust is not that hard to clean off a sensor and you need to learn the maintenance and care and how to no need to fear it it is not that bad :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back