2 more photos of people. C&C please.

Kaydub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off a big thanks to those who gave me feedback on the last couple pictures I posted. Here's a couple more.

I tried my best to avoid hard light by going behind the house to get more diffused lighting. I had to fix contrast a bit so his face wasn't so dark on one side. I noticed afterwords that taking it at f/2 was too harsh. Does the photo work other than that?

DSC_2307CROPPEDANDCOLORCORRECTED.jpg

I was blind firing from the hip at a carnival. This caught my eye so I cropped it out.
DSC_2219CROP.jpg

first one is decent second looks terrible

MrTramplefoot

Perhaps it would be nice to post why someone's pic looks "terrible?" I've come here to learn, from those willing to give decent critique. Not just on my photos but on other poster's photos as well. Telling someone their photo is "terrible" may be true, but it doesn't help them improve their photography skills. It just comes across rude .

Dyce

I think that the first picture may be more interesting if the focal point were the toys and not the person.

The first one made me laugh, in a good way. The second was interesting idea but out of focus. Its too bad the flag got cut off. I think it would have looked cool again I am just a newb and no nothing but thats my take. Good luck.

I think the first one would have looked better if the foreground wasn't so OOF. Baseball cap bills and glasses make for tough shadows. A reflector or fill flash might help. The other two could have used better balance between light and shadows too. Practice this on your next time out and don't be afraid to shoot all around it with different settings and camera angles. You can always delete the bad ones.

Tom Beard

MrTramplefoot

Perhaps it would be nice to post why someone's pic looks "terrible?" I've come here to learn, from those willing to give decent critique. Not just on my photos but on other poster's photos as well. Telling someone their photo is "terrible" may be true, but it doesn't help them improve their photography skills. It just comes across rude .

Dyce

ok the crop is bad, he cut off the edges of there arms and theres to much headspace, if the flag wa meant to be left, he cut the top off. it is out of focus. the lighting is bad

Controversial thread alert..

I noticed afterwords that taking it at f/2 was too harsh.​

This was a mistake in your first shot especially. Would have been better to get more in focus here, maybe could have backed up a little too as to not cut off the hat.

Ancient film photographers (lol..) made up the rules Sunny f/16 and Cloudy f/11 as a baseline for what aperture to use in outdoor lighting conditions. If you were really even at say, f/8 I think that first shot would have been better, leaving a deeper depth of focus and letting us see what's going on with the dinos more clearly. Don't be afraid to stop down a little.

Controversial thread alert..

I noticed afterwords that taking it at f/2 was too harsh.​

This was a mistake in your first shot especially. Would have been better to get more in focus here, maybe could have backed up a little too as to not cut off the hat.

Ancient film photographers (lol..) made up the rules Sunny f/16 and Cloudy f/11 as a baseline for what aperture to use in outdoor lighting conditions. If you were really even at say, f/8 I think that first shot would have been better, leaving a deeper depth of focus and letting us see what's going on with the dinos more clearly. Don't be afraid to stop down a little.

I agree the shot needs a much deeper depth of field, but I have to say I think you're confusing the sunny 16 rule - it is just a baseline to give a proper exposure if you had no metering available, not a recommended aperture for use in sunlight.

I have to say I think you're confusing the sunny 16 rule - it is just a baseline to give a proper exposure if you had no metering available, not a recommended aperture for use in sunlight.

You got me there..

Thanks. I didn't mean to give the OP bad advice. :oops:

Most reactions

Back