2 new portraits

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the opportunity to do another shoot this weekend with my good friend Dan. Here are just two of the over 300 shots I took.

I'd love to hear your feedback.

gq.jpg

headshot_duotone.jpg

Im not sure about the pose in the first, but the lighting works well as usual. i really like the second one tho... tones are great. :thumbup:

I think its the blazer/coat that bothers me a bit.... i think it just seems a bit awkward.... but thats just my personal taste. Its no biggie, I just think id prefer a version without it. ;)

I agree with everything Arch said.

The thing with the jacket for me, is that it looks uncomfortable. Usually when you sling your jacket over your shoulder, it's much closer to your neck. This helps to draw the elbow in. Right now, it kind of looks like he's right in the middle of either putting it on or taking off.

I love the angle of #2 :thumbsup:

I dig the second one a lot. the first is done well and the coat doesn't bother me but the wrinkles in the bottom of his shirt do a little... but nice lighting and poses on both.

WOW! I really like the second one - to my untrained eye, it is much more dramatic, the 1st seems a bit less realistic and/or unflattering for your client.

I wish i knew how to do the type of shot in number 2 -that is beautiful art.

f

Matt - May I ask, are these intended as portraits or fashion advertising or ... ?

Matt, was the second one taken in the same location as the natural light shot as Marge? They look pretty similar.

Thanks everyone.

Jazz, some shots are for Dan, and some are for my portfolio. He is a jazz musician, and will put a few on his website, and give some to his agent. He hasn't picked anything yet, but I wanted to process a few for myself. Since he is a friend, we took all kinds of shots, not just ones he would need or use. It was as much practice as it was for any intended purpose.

Jake, this does look similar to the natural light one of Marge, but is completely different light. The one of Marge was in our kitchen with window light, and this was with strobe and softbox in our "studio". It's a amazing how many hoops you go through just to reproduce natural light :p

Really like the second one, my opinions on the first have pretty much been summed up by others. Second one has a great mood to it. Nice work.

First, I've lost all formatting in the forum software, so I can't use new paragraphs or smilies etc. First shot - (1) Looks hard edged, as if the extraction didn't go well. Also the thin stripes on the shirt are asking for moiree trouble somewhere along the line. Last, if it's for your portfolio for fashion adv, I think you'll need to throw some more light into that jacket. Second shot - (1)breaks the posing rule about not letting the nose break the outline of the face. Was one of the things I liked about your previous avatar, her nose was placed so perfectly. However, I see that rule broken all the time. But still, here it doesn't look right, to me. (2) The file says duotone, but all colors are there in more or less equal value(?). It appears to be 4-color black & white (or in rgb I guess it'd be called full-color b&w). Regardless, however you did it, it works really well, and is another example of postprocessing manipulation to get something special. Great decision. Tones are beautiful, d.o.f. looks dead nuts on, composition is great. Having this technique in your toolbox is invaluable. bravo. (3) If it's for a portrait, I guess I'd want to see the eyes more, but that may just be a personal thing. Sorry about this post being hard to read, but I think that TPF is punishing me, probably 'cause I'm a Red Sox fan. Everyone's always dumping on us. insert smilies here insert smilies here

I do not think the GQ pose fits the subject in the first shot. Love the light in the second frame but the fact that he is wearing a suit bothers me. I am not seeing that he is a Jazz musician in these photos. He looks more like a business man.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back