2 Newbie questions

Ronin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm a total newbie literally: I don't even own a camera yet but for a long while I've been interested in photography and finally my funds allow me to take the step from dreaming to doing. So, here are the questions:

What's an ok basic digital camera that fits a student budget? Say, $100-$150. My dad's camera has a moveable screen (don't know what they're really called) and it makes some shots easier but it's not a must. I just need something that's good enough to get me aquianted with the art of photography.

Second, can you recommend any good books on the subject for beginners? I'm especially interested in portraits, glamour shots etc. Shooting people, in other words. Any particular books on that subject?

That's all for now.

-Chris

I'm afraid you probably won't find much of a digital camera for that price range unless you go with a point & shoot from ebay. However, you would be able to find a Pentax ME Super 35mm film camera in that price range on ebay in excellent condition. It's a wonderful camera to learn from, of course, you don't get instant results. If your determined to get a digital camera, I would wait until you have maybe 300 or so.

Okay, 35mm film. So what should I get?

And when I do get the cash which digital cameras would be worth looking at?

Any suggestions where to learn about photography? Sure, you learn by doing but if there's no critique I can't learn what NOT to do...

markc said:
I don't want to be rude, but both questions come up a lot. I think you'll find a lot of answers looking through older threads and using the search feature.

I'm afraid I have nothing to add to this thread, but I wanted to give 'props' to markc for such a polite, thoughtful way of putting that. I'm on so many different kinds of forums on the net, from bikes to DJ'ing (to photography), and this is normally written as a flame response.

Like I said, no input on the post, but wanted to big up the polite forumers.

On 35mm film cameras:

There are many good used manual cameras available. While a manual camera will make you do more of the work, you'll also learn how to really control the final image. And when all is said and done, that is what it is all about.

Almost any of the following will do the job: Pentax spotmatics, Pentax K1000, Olympus OM1 or OM2, Konica T3 or TC, Mamiya 500, Mamiya 1000, etc. Try to find one with a 50, 52 or 55 mm lens of f2 or faster (smaller number.) Beware of cameras which need a battery to work. You don't want to find that your camera has become an expensive paper weight because the battery(s) or some part of the electronics has ceased to report for duty. You will want to get a separate exposure meter anyway.

After you've worked with a camera for a year or so, you'll begin to understand a bit more about just what type of camera will suit your personal needs. Then you can begin to assemble information on the various rigs available.

On books:

For the technical stuff, almost any book with a title such as " the Complete Guide . . .".

For lighting and composition: that is, the stuff that makes or breaks a print -- go to the library and sniff out books for artists or photographers on lighting and composition.

I wouldn't reccomend buying a film camera, in the long run it will cost you a lot more buying film and getting them developed when you could be saving that money and put it towards a nicer digital camera.

I got started on a Minolta Dimage Z1 3.2MP SLR-style point and shoot. It was 200 bucks on overstock and that came with a bag, a 128MB card (plenty for 3.2 MP), batteries, charger, minitripod and a cleaning kit. Though it isn't nearly as good as a true SLR, if you are looking for a digital camera to learn on it is a great choice. This was about a year ago.

they have the Z10 (seems like the same, just different model name and different look) for 160.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1448766

about as good as you'll get in your price range.

From one student to another, and one nebie to another, I'll tell you what I use - (and I'm sure the guys on here will let you know if it's a decent camera or not.....;)) - the Sony Cybershot DSC-P71. It's a 3.2 megapixel with 6xprecision digital zoom, image size and quality settings, scene selector (night, night portrait and landscape settings), multi focus settings (distance presets, multi auto-focus, center auto-focus), white balance settings, special effects (Sepia, b+w, negative, solarize) and spot-light metering. The only thing I haven't worked out if I can change yet is the shutter speed.

Be aware that Digital Zoom is worthless. Worse than worthless, actually, rather harmful. You'd get better results zooming to the maximum optical zoom (even if that's no zoom at all), then cropping and enlarging the section you want in Photoshop/GIMP than using the onboard algorithms.

Not tryin to be rude but I really don't think that you would want to get a digital camera in your price range...that is, if you are going to be doing more than point and shoot. I would highly reccomend getting a film 35mm camera. You can get processing done for cheeply and even have the negatives scaned to a CD if you like.

With the 35mm film you will have more flexibility with how you want your exposure to be...than you would with a similar priced digicam in your price range.

I will be more than happy to help you with your selections and even point out some good films for you to shoot. Just send me a PM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back