2 part question from a total beginner

I edit on a gaming pc-- an alien gear/dell. I like Mac but I couldn't justify the price at the time. Plus-- my pc was a surprise gift from my very well meaning and supportive husband. Your display is a very important piece of this puzzle so I wouldn't buy a "kit", instead buy your monitor separate.

Thank you everyone for the input, I think I'm gonna go with the iMac 27" just gotta figure out the specs to get

What is your proposed budget?
Thank you everyone for the input, I think I'm gonna go with the iMac 27" just gotta figure out the specs to get
You can upgrade the RAM very easily. I upgraded mine from 4g to 12g.

I would go for as much as you can afford. The i7 processor and as much ram as possible. I finally had to replace the old 7 year old iMac a few months ago. The 5K display is nice, got the i7 processor and 32 gigs of ram plus the 3tb hybrid drive. It should easily last at least 7 years before i need to replace it. Mac's tend to be useable longer than PC's before the need to replace them.

Just upgraded the misses' laptop from 4gb to 16gb. Zoom!!! Shop around and get the best bang for your buck, check with a local computer repair shop to see if they have something versus paying a lot for something you don't truly need.

My .02

My budget is around 1500 right now but can save up if need be, I really appreciate all the help everyone is giving me! Thanks guys

My budget is around 1500 right now but can save up if need be, I really appreciate all the help everyone is giving me! Thanks guys
The 27-inch iMac starts at $1800. Do you need the extra desktop space on the 27-inch? I know you want that extra space, but do you need it? Likely not.

I debated going to the larger 27-inch, but it wasn't worth the extra expense for me. The 21.5-inch works well enough, costs less, and looks perfect at my desk. Any larger would have been just too large.

I am a hobbyist, not a professional. If I was a professional making money off, I would give you a differing opinion.

What do you do with your photos? If you're a hobbyist like me, then you don't need top of the line. Save that extra money for lenses, bills, etc. Just my opinion.

I'm more of a hobbyist right now, but I wanna eventually become a professional

With that in mind, If I'm being honest I would say that investing in editing hardware or gear upgrades is pointless until you have developed enough skill as a photographer to reach the full potential of the gear you have now, and the gear you have now is plenty capable for a beginner.

Have you reached the full potential of the gear you have now? By that, I mean are the physical limitations of what you have preventing you from progressing in your craft?

If not, then spend your money on knowledge. If so, then spend your money on stuff.

My .02

My limitation as of now is I don't have a computer to do photoshop or any photo editing software to tweak my photos, so I'd like to get a computer so I can start working with some photo editing softwares. But you're right I should definitely look into gaining knowledge, any suggestions on any books?

My limitation as of now is I don't have a computer to do photoshop or any photo editing software to tweak my photos, so I'd like to get a computer so I can start working with some photo editing softwares. But you're right I should definitely look into gaining knowledge, any suggestions on any books?

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea where you are at technically, so I wasn't suggesting anything specific... just recommending a question to ask yourself.

Book recommendations are tough without knowing where you are at technically, but people of all skill levels can learn from the following book...

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science...e and magic&qid=1465337953&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

There are also a million groups on Flickr and Facepage that are really helpful as well, that will cater to specific disciplines.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm pretty much just starting out to be honest, I've always wanted to get into photography, and I'm happy to finally be chasing my passion, and it's a perfect question I should be asking myself. I appreciate all the input and help.

I'm pretty much just starting out to be honest, I've always wanted to get into photography, and I'm happy to finally be chasing my passion, and it's a perfect question I should be asking myself. I appreciate all the input and help.

Are you familiar with the exposure triangle? Rule of thirds? Depth of Field?

If you aren't very familiar with those three concepts, it would be a fantastic place to start, and best of all with the wealth of knowledge available to you on the interwebz, that information is cheap as free.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back