2 photos I took w/ food dye

ncstater1919

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a few shots I took with some food dye and a white backround set up in my room.

C&C welcome :)

DarkBlueGlass.jpg

RedandBlue.jpg

The white balance is messed up in the first picture. It's better in the second picture but still a little off. You might want to consider getting some kind of white balance aid.

What kind of lighting is this?

And what kind of camera are you using?

I second Samanax... but I really love the idea. It's a very nice effect applied to an otherwise typical glass of water. Very cool indeed.

The white balance is messed up in the first picture. It's better in the second picture but still a little off. You might want to consider getting some kind of white balance aid.

What kind of lighting is this?

And what kind of camera are you using?

haha to be completely honest I was just using 2 poster boards set up against a wall and put a desk light on the dresser above to get a good shadow and better lighting? I don't really know how to do a correct setup

and Nikon D40 with the standard kit lens

Man you beat me too it. I was planning on playing with this on a rainy day.

Fun stuff here. Sometimes it's good to think smaller.

RedandBlue1.jpg

Keep playing with this. Try different containers. Try warm water/cold dye, and cold water/warm dye. Try luke warm water, one cold color (temperture) and one hot color. Let them settle, then introduce a third color. try changing the viscosity of the water by adding corn syrup. Try using rubbing alcohol....

i really liked working with the food dye cause it went its own way, i just can't seem to figure out the right set up to use and stuff but I assume that it will come with practice and I like it.

bitter yea I like the idea and I will try with different kinds of food dye and such. thanks for the advice!

Oh hey, neat conceptual idea.

haha to be completely honest I was just using 2 poster boards set up against a wall and put a desk light on the dresser above to get a good shadow and better lighting? I don't really know how to do a correct setup
I use white foam core for similar types of shots, but I have strobist gear (off-camera flashes, light stands, radio controlled triggers, umbrellas or other diffusers or lighting aids, umbrella swivels, etc...) that I use when shooting indoors. Something you'll probably want to look into eventually.

Your lighting isn't too bad though, you just need to correct the white balance a bit. Were you using a tripod?

ahh i love the second pic!!

Really neat images. My photo class did something similar were the containers were backlit and we used dry ice as well. I really like the second one best.

[/quote]I use white foam core for similar types of shots, but I have strobist gear (off-camera flashes, light stands, radio controlled triggers, umbrellas or other diffusers or lighting aids, umbrella swivels, etc...) that I use when shooting indoors. Something you'll probably want to look into eventually.[/quote]

Yes I hope to be able to have those options in the future but I make a minimal salary that has to go towards my car/college so that may be something to look into when I get out of college.

[/quote]Your lighting isn't too bad though, you just need to correct the white balance a bit. Were you using a tripod?[/QUOTE]

I used books to set my camera on because the tripod i have wouldn't have worked because I was on the ground

Most reactions

New Topics

Back