2 Pics

OBrien

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Still playing with my new camera, here are two shots I took at the weekend. Colour this time, especially for LaFoto who was nice about my B&W last week in my first ever post and who I saw saying she's a big colour fan somewhere.

The first is meant to be a bit abstract, I like the second for the way the rock catches the light. A slower shutter speed would have been nice to blur the water but I didn't have a tripod. A faster one might have frozen the spray better, but the light was fading, so it is what it is. Neither have been editied in any way.

Any comments?

343359%3B923232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3254%3E23%3B%3E775%3EWSNRCG%3D32328856%3B8353nu0mrj

343359%3B923232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3254%3E23%3B%3E775%3EWSNRCG%3D32328856%3B7%3B63nu0mrj

Hey, O'Brien, thanks for "dedicating" your colour photos to me :). Yes, I am a fan of colours, now more than ever, when nature offers so little of them.

Your second looks slightly overexposed to me, you did use a long exposure already to blur the water, right? I see what you mean about the light on the stone. Evening light is so special (have you seen my photo of the snow lit by the setting sun? Hang on, I might find it and link my post to it...http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18327). Did you go out to Dun Laoghaire to take this one?

The trees that have these round things in their branches have some kind of disease, or so I heard; it's some sort of tree epidemic. You wouldn't happen to know what it is called? I like your idea of an abstract here and you recommend you consider putting this photo into the Photo Themes, as well, under "Looking Up".

(By the way, I also remember that I asked you whether you`d already been around when I spent time at my penpal`s in 1977, but so far you've successfully evaded the answer to this question ;).)

Well spotted LaFoto, the rock is just past Dun Laoghaire at a place called Forty Foot. It does look a little overexposed in the forum, but not in really in my folder. Could something have happened between there, Snapfish, and back to here? If not I’ll see if I can do something with it when my Photoshop arrives.

I can’t answer your question on the tree disease – I actually thought they were birds’ nests! Just shows all I know….

Yes, I was around when you were here in 1977 - I was a little eleven-year old living in the West of Ireland…. so a lot older than you first thought! :)

I like your evening snow pictures a lot. The edited lake picture is great, beautiful light and colours.

Are many of the contributors to this site professional photographers? The high quality of many of the pictures is incredible and make me really feel the amateur that I am.

Shake hands on the amateur bit, O'Brien, I am, too. As far as I know, many are non-professional or semi-professional photographers, but I am not. I'm just having fun taking photos, that's all. Trying to learn always more, of course, but not attempting at any career.

And hey, :greenpbl: I'm six years your senior :greenpbl: - I was out in Limerick when I was over staying with my penpal, we went to see her granny, could I have met you there, by any chance? Or were you even further west at the time?

LaFoto said:
I was out in Limerick when I was over staying with my penpal, we went to see her granny, could I have met you there, by any chance? Or were you even further west at the time?

No, you were about 100 miles south of me - I was in a small County called Leitrim, which not many people visited then, other than French and German anglers. Nowadays there lots of tourists cruising the Shannon. I did live in Limerick for a year or so in the early 90s though....

Angling off the boat on the Shannon.... don't let my son read this: he'd be over in an hour (not quite.... but with Ryanair coming over isn`t that expensive any longer)

nice captures! may i ask what new camera you purchased?

It's the new Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 – my first move from film to digital, so I didn’t want to go all-out and get an SLR until I came to terms with the new technology. I’m already sorry I didn’t though. I love the immediacy of digital, knowing straight away whether you’re on to something or not. One thing I hated about 35mm was waiting for prints expecting something to look great only to be horribly disappointed.

The Z3 is a great little camera, very versatile with lots of manual intervention options, but only stops down to f8, which is the one thing I’m unhappy about. I’m not 100% clear if a digital f8 is the same as 35mm f8, as I seem to have got pretty good depth of field in one or two landscapes. I’ll need to get reading.

Thanks for the encouraging comments. Having had a look around the site since finding it last week, you have both posted some wonderful pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back