2 Senior Portraits I shot in April... C&C

JOSHardson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is just a few of the final pictures I'm about to hand over for printing. I shot these in downtown Memphis for my girlfriends sister. I just noticed the white balance is a little cool in the second picture so I will need to fix it, but other than that any C&C is encouraged.

4573865246_e67ee3ae5f_o.jpg

4573848550_a46b115976_o.jpg

1- Is ok, but the bars on the window are a little distracting.

2- I like this one better. Very nice.

Hey, Josh.

I'll offer you a critique of the first one:

First, I'd either get her chin down or the camera up. You can see what I mean when you compare this one to your second view. See how we're looking up on the bottom of her brow, nose and chin? Notice what this angle has done to her chin-line.

And just as important, the lighting is very flat. There is no definition of shape and texture, and no separation of the subject from the background.

Long sleeves would have helped. Take you hand and cover the bare arm. Can you see how much attention it draws? Maybe a bit of vignetting at the bottom of the image will help.

The setting is pretty shallow. Moving her away from the background, even a few feet, will make a nice improvement.

Finally, this would benefit from a longer focal length. This looks to me like a normal lens was used, which is a bit too short when working in this close. It looks fine in the second image.

Nice location and good expressions!

-Pete

I could see how that they could be distracting. Thanks for the input. I wish I would have had some lighting setup behind to her right on the second picture to make her hair pop a little more. I guess I know what my next photography purchase will be.

@Christie I was using an old 50mm manual sears lens. I also like her expressions. That is the main reason why we chose these two. Thanks for all your suggestions. I will definitely keep them in mind next time.

Most reactions

Back