2 unrelated questions.

303villain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First question: I was asked to take photo's for a band promo in the next few weeks, any advice? i dont want to charge them an arm and a leg, so im thinking im just going to charge them for the film/processing? fair? any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

second: I really have wanted to get into medium format for a long time, but im POOR. i was looking at BHphoto.com and theyve got a seagull gc109 fixed lens, tlr for like 280, is this a decent camera to give medium format a try? ive got a tripod already, and i am going to borrow a light meter....

Thanks!:hug::

Can't help you on the camera question, but I've found that in order for you to be taken seriously it's generally necessary to charge a fee. It can be as small as you like, but IME once people start paying you for your time, they become much more cooperative and hence you get better shots and earn a better reputation.:D

Hmm ok, so you want a cheap-ish medium format camera that takes good pics? Well i can't help you there. But if you want a cheap as chips MF camera that can possibly sometimes if it feels like it take good pics, but generally they're crap - then get a Holga. Search the forums for Holga to see some example shots. But yeah.. if you want good quality do NOT get a holga.

Good luck

That seagull you're looking at will probably be a good first step. You might also look at Yashicamat, a twin lens reflex camera. Check ebay for prices; there are tons of them out there.

The Holga is a plastic toy cam with a plastic lens that takes 120 film. Great for some things, not so great if you're trying to give MF a serious look-see. :lol: At least get a glass lens. ;)

Have your buddies pay for the film, processing, and take care of you at the bar the next time they have a gig. That sounds fair and is an arrangement they might actually be able to afford. All the musicians I know are chronically broke, too! :D

ya exactly, i was thinking of just chargin them for the film/processing and some tickets or tshirts or something like that, cause i know the last person they went to ripped them off, and i dont want them to be freaked out, then if they want more later, ill talk to them about a small fee.

im probably going to get the seagull, just because i have a thing with buying used things.. its never treated me well, no matter how much i looked into it! im plagued! but if i find a nice tlr for the right price, ill pick one up! im excited!

are they friends? I have done quite a few weddings where I only charge for my expenses- with no take home for me becasue they are friends. But if it's a friend of a friend, "something" for your time would be fair business practice. Whether a drink or shirts. ;) Or even a fair trade- you wear their shirt, and they give out your business card on their table. :lol:

303villain said:
im probably going to get the seagull, just because i have a thing with buying used things.. its never treated me well, no matter how much i looked into it! im plagued! but if i find a nice tlr for the right price, ill pick one up! im excited!

I understand your qualms about buying used, but in my opinion the Seagull cameras are way overpriced. You can find a cheaper, but better TLR if yo look used. Yashica, Mamiya, Rollie, and Minolta all made great TLRs. I think the Seagulls are made on the old Yashica manufacturing equipment, so basically they are Yashicas made in China. Mamiya makes the only TLRs with interchangable lenses.

thanks! thats good to know, then i guess ill spend the extra time/effort(and maybe money) looking for a used yashica or other tlr than the seagull! too bad my car needs a new tire, and 18" goodyear eagle f1's arent cheap :(

Most reactions

Back