200 feet of film on its way!

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just ordered 100 feet of Ilford Pan-F Plus 50 and 100 feet of Arista EDU ultra 200, along with a bulk loader. This will be my first time loading bulk film. At least I won't run out of film in a while!

Has anyone tried the Arista EDU films?

Not the 200 ISO. The last time I bought Arista in 35mm, it was rebranded Tri-X, so I liked it just fine. Hmm, but I think that was the Premium? Can't remember, it was a while ago. The 200 ISO in medium-format is rebranded Fomapan (not sure if it's the same for 35mm), and I must say it's not my favorite film. Emulsion is kind of soft, harder to get nice contrast out of it. Seems to respond better to stand development. I think you can get very good results out of it, but it might take a few rolls to figure out how best to develop it.

I like Arista EDU. I use both 35 mm and 120, and buy all three ISO's for various conditions. I have not tried pushing any Arista, but tend to stand develop using Legacy Pro L110, same formula as Kodak HC-110 but lower viscosity. Dilution 1 part developer, 100 parts filtered water, approximately 68 Deg F, 1 hour, no agitation. If using stainless steel tanks, I put the tank in a water bath and monitor temperature to minimize temperature migration, the Patterson tanks seem to hold the temperature pretty well. Often I mix ISO's and may have a roll of Tri-X in the same tank.

Phil

I just ordered 100 feet of Ilford Pan-F Plus 50 and 100 feet of Arista EDU ultra 200, along with a bulk loader. This will be my first time loading bulk film. At least I won't run out of film in a while!

I've used arista 100 in 4x5 sheets and like it.

The problem I see with your situation is that you have 2 types of film and only 1 bulk loader. You may want to get a second bulk loader so you don't have to mess around with switching films in the bulk loader when you want to use the other kind.

Or just load the entire 100 feet of one film and then the other. I find bulk rolling kind of fussy so I prefer to just do all of it at once and be done with it for a while.

I've used arista 100 in 4x5 sheets and like it.

The problem I see with your situation is that you have 2 types of film and only 1 bulk loader. You may want to get a second bulk loader so you don't have to mess around with switching films in the bulk loader when you want to use the other kind.
Having only 1 loader is no good when you can pick them up for next to nothing, I'm greedy I've got 4 on the go

I bought the bulk loader new, which maybe was not so smart; I see they are quite inexpensive at the 'bay. Anyway, I was planning on just loading the entire thing. I have the cassettes and canisters.

Anyway, if I ever want to pick up another bulk loader, which one should I buy used?

Anyway, if I ever want to pick up another bulk loader, which one should I buy used?

From my use I would recommend Watson, Alden and Burke & James loaders.
I have a couple by Western. The Western is considerably lighter than the others, which not mean anything.
No problems with any of them, but I use the first three more.

Or just load the entire 100 feet of one film and then the other. I find bulk rolling kind of fussy so I prefer to just do all of it at once and be done with it for a while.

I check my box of "short rolls" when I load a new bulk supply. I load several 12 exposure rolls first, then finish the bulk with 36 exposure rolls. I use the "short rolls" for testing lenses or bodies I pick up or repair.

Phil

Two loaders are not needed. Two loaders would make it possible to have different films at the ready for rolling on demand if you are the kind of person who loads canisters as needed. If you don't care about that, just load one film, roll the entire 100 feet into canisters, then do the same with the second film.

Fer cryin' out loud.

Two loaders are not needed. Two loaders would make it possible to have different films at the ready for rolling on demand if you are the kind of person who loads canisters as needed. If you don't care about that, just load one film, roll the entire 100 feet into canisters, then do the same with the second film.

Fer cryin' out loud.

Or...... keep the boxes and plastic bags the film came in, and swap film between the loader and the boxes as needed.

Inconvenient? Heck yea. Possible? Absitively posilutely!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back