$2000 budget - what would you buy?

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Starting with no medium format gear, what would you buy with $2000?

Currently I've had my eye on the Fuji GF670, but I'm looking for options here. Time frame is one month, budget is $2000, with a little room to play. Lets say +/- $500. (A little more if it will really be worth it.)

Needs:
None really. 6x7 if I had to choose, but the option for 6x6 or 6x7 sounds good. Also, a meter. That would be good.

Ideas?

Why I am considering the GF67: Rangefinder, easy to use, compact.

Any money I save on the body/lens(es) will just go to more film.

I'd probably go back to my good ol' Bronica and see whatever else I can get. Good for you for going towards film!
What's a light meter? lol (I haven't used one in years. The other week I was shooting a job w/ another photographer, all of a sudden the guy pulled out a light meter - I nearly teared :) ).

There's nothing I want that I can buy with $2000. :lol:

For what sort of photography? Street? Studio? Landscape? Portraits? Weddings? etc

For my purposes I find the Pentax 67 to be the best choice in 6x7 but it may not suit your needs.

Bronica SQ system items: SQ-A or SQ-Ai, 120 back, 50mm PS, 65mm PS, 150mm PS, maybe one of thje metering prisms that also provide in-between shutter speeds as well as eye-level viewing. Should easily,easily,easily come in under $2000 with cash to spare. 80mm lenses are almost giveaways, and might well come with most body/back outfits. Shop around; if you want the best buys do NOT buy from the largest web-based outfits, but instead look around the USA at dealers located in smaller markets. Buy a copy of Shutterbug magazine at a large newsstand; inise you will find phone and internet contact information for many reputable dealers that are NOT the mega-dealers which have the highest prices in the USA.

An outfit like the one listed above is worth maybe $650 in say, Charlotte, North Carolina or St. Paul, Minnesota; if it is listed at B&H or KEH or Adorama, the price could well be double to triple what it is at walk-in retail in a smaller city.

For what sort of photography? Street? Studio? Landscape? Portraits? Weddings? etc
Definitely not weddings, lol. I've never really done too many landscapes, so not that either.

I would say a combination of street, portrait, and just generally messing around - snapshots of the kids and such.

What everyone has said is pretty much what I expected. Why did I even start this thread, lol. Although - thanks for the tips on shopping, Derrel.

Right now what I'm trying to decide (and I don't expect you guys to decide for me - that's not what this thread was for) is if I want a single lens like that Fuji, or a whole new system.

Basically, do I want to compliment my 35mm gear with a MF camera ... or do I want to replace my 35mm gear with MF gear...?
(I won't actually be replacing it, but you know - a whole new system that could replace it if I wanted it to.)

I had also been looking at the Bronicas and RB67s.

I'm thinking that eventually, I'll want both - the Fuji (or another camera like that) and a whole system. And that is what is making me lean towards the Fuji. The other bodies are cheaper, and therefore easier to save for. I'm thinking I may just get the more expensive one out of the way first... LOL, my car will finally be paid off next month, so saving money after that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Really, the only thing I think I might find limiting with the Fuji is the range of available shutter speeds (4 seconds to 1/500th - although it's a similar situation with my XA, and it's usually not a problem with that).
And, of course, only having one lens - but that would sort of be the point of having that camera.

...Anyway, thanks for the tips. It'll be another week or two before I place any orders, so I have a lot to think about till then...lol.

Someone else suggested that too (not here). I don't really know much about it - I'll have to look into it.

Mamiya 7, it's like the Fuji GF670 but has interchangeable lenses.

I also might consider buying a graflex crown graphic, a 6x7, 6x9, and 6x6 roll backs, and a really nice kit of lenses. The lens options for press cameras are endless!

With $2K you not only can buy a nice Bronica or any used MF camera but also get a nice enlarger n all the darkroom equipment you need to process your own film, chemicals n paper indluded.

Most MF camera systems are under $1000 these days, top of the line stuff too.

Darkroom equipment is almost free if you are willing to pick it up. Check the for sale section on the photo sites or craigs list.

I've been developing my own film for a while now, but don't have an enlarger yet... I considered using part of this budget for that, but I think I'll just spend whatever is left on more film, and save for the enlarger later.

I did read up on the Mamiya 7 a little, and that looks pretty nice too. As of right now, I'd say it's between the Fuji GF670 and the Mamiya 7... And I'm honestly having a hard time deciding, lol.

It's a difficult decision. I really like folding rangefinder 6x9 and 6x7 cameras because of their portability and quality, and for my personal work I'm happy with a single focal length. For travelling I still carry a folder (usually a Plaubel Makina 67 or W67, both of which I wouldn't recommend buying now) in preference to my Mamiya 7 kit. It's really up to you - how much do you need to be able to change lenses? You could also consider one of the older folders like the original Bessa II if you prefer 6x9 over 6x7.

Good luck,
Helen

HAHA - You guys aren't making the decision any easier! :lol:

More things to consider...

I think I'm pretty much decided on a rangefinder, now I just have to decide which one.

As far as 6x7 vs. 6x9 - I don't really have a preference. This will be my first venture in medium format, so I don't really have past experience to go by. I take it that 6x9 will be similar to what I'm used to with 35mm, just bigger. 6x7 is very close to 8x10, so that's a plus for me. I also tend to like square crops. That is why the GF670 was looking so attractive - it has the option for either.

As far as a fixed lens goes, my only worry is that I may want something longer occasionally. Not too concerned about the wide end.
With my 35mm gear, 50mm and 85mm are probably my most used focal lengths.

What I'm trying to decide right now is - do I want a 'kit' or a single package. Both have their benefits... Ultimately, I think I will want both, so I guess the question is - which do I want first...?

The lens on the GF670 has a maximum aperture of f/3.5. Is that typical for a camera like that? It seems like it might be too slow for some situations, but then again - I have never used any medium format gear before, so I don't know if it really is slow, or if it's pretty much standard.

Last edited:
Medium format lenses do not tend to be as fast as those found for 35mm.

When I had my Bronica SQ-A, the fastest lens I had was f/2.8 ... most of the time it was f/3.5

Most reactions

New Topics

Back