$2000 budget - what would you buy?

I like the SQ-A and SQ-Ai bodies for their simplicity and price. The shutters are in each LENS, and are accurate and reliable and electronically timed. Bronica's Zenzanon and Zenzanon PS series lenses have good bokeh--better than that of many other systems. The nice thing is the ability to shoot 6x6 or 6x4.5 or 35mm or 35mm panoramic on the same body, using the same lenses, but with different backs. The backs also use inserts,so if you cannot afford a lot of backs, you can get cheaper inserts to pre-load. The SQ series cameras work well at eye-level with a prism, or at waist-level, and were designed to be used for weddings and portraits and such, and are very hand-holdable, unlike say the RB67 and RZ67 which are massive,monstrous beasts.

Prices bottomed out in 2007-2008...MF prices have been ticking upward since then, it seems to me.

I was disappointed to realize that 35mm was on the lower end of the size format. It is a lot bigger than 110. (If anyone remembers 110 film?)

good luck with your search !

HAHA - Yeah, my first camera was a 110 camera. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it looked a lot like an Ektramax (that might have been it - I was pretty young, so it's hard to remember...).

I haven't bought anything yet - but I'm leaning pretty strongly towards the GF670. I think I'm going to go about $1000 over my budget, because I decided to throw in some more 35mm stuff too (new lens, more film). And 70 or 80 rolls of 120 and 220 film. :lol: Plus some other stuff I've been needing for a while...

HAHA - You guys aren't making the decision any easier! :lol:More things to consider...I think I'm pretty much decided on a rangefinder, now I just have to decide which one.As far as 6x7 vs. 6x9 - I don't really have a preference. This will be my first venture in medium format, so I don't really have past experience to go by. I take it that 6x9 will be similar to what I'm used to with 35mm, just bigger. 6x7 is very close to 8x10, so that's a plus for me. I also tend to like square crops. That is why the GF670 was looking so attractive - it has the option for either.As far as a fixed lens goes, my only worry is that I may want something longer occasionally. Not too concerned about the wide end.With my 35mm gear, 50mm and 85mm are probably my most used focal lengths.What I'm trying to decide right now is - do I want a 'kit' or a single package. Both have their benefits... Ultimately, I think I will want both, so I guess the question is - which do I want first...?The lens on the GF670 has a maximum aperture of f/3.5. Is that typical for a camera like that? It seems like it might be too slow for some situations, but then again - I have never used any medium format gear before, so I don't know if it really is slow, or if it's pretty much standard.
You might also consider a baby crown graphic. It has a range finder, and you can 6x9, 6x7, or 6x6 backs along with sheet film --lenses are also interchangable ( although the rangefinder needs to be calibrated for whatever lens you choose. Best thing is that its much cheaper then anything else mentioned here.

Like what Derrel said, the Bronica's are really diverse in their abilities.

If I went with a Fuji Rangefinder, it would be the 6X9 one with the wide angle. That's one of my DREAM CAMERAS.

If you want something for LANDSCAPES, I'd recommend something like a RZ or RB if you want 6x7.

If you want something that's better than 35mm, but maneuverable enough to shoot people, landscapes, studio, w/e, and not be changing out backs or film every 8 frames, than I'd recomend either a Contax 645 or a Mamiya 645AFD.

I own a Mamiya 645 AFD as my medium format camera. I bought it mainly for portraiture, but it works great for landscapes too, with a film area about 3x that of 35mm. Best part, the lenses are CHEAP 2nd hand. the Contax system has a better standard lens (opens up to f/2), but it's a much more expensive camera for little gain.

Starting with no medium format gear, what would you buy with $2000?
Needs:
None really. 6x7 if I had to choose, but the option for 6x6 or 6x7 sounds good. Also, a meter. That would be good.

Ideas?

I think I'm going to make things more complicated for you.

I spent ~ $2200 during the first part of last year, getting the following:

- RB67 ProSD body w/ waistlevel finder.
- 65/f4 K/L lens w/ caps
- 127/f3.5 K/L "
- 250/f4.5 APO K/L "
- 2 ProSD 6x7 120 film backs
- Extension tubes (SD) #1 and #2 with caps
- RB prism finder with case, cap.

All of the above from KEH, over several months, looking for good stuff coming through. Thought I had
a 140 macro, but they goofed up, listing the RZ macro as an RB. Sigh.

I've got other stuff, like a polaroid (well, Fuji equivalent these days) back and some other odds and ends,
but that's over the $2K point. Handheld light meters I've got to thin out, having too many currently.

It's all heavier than an RF like a Mamiya 7, but it's got lots better closeup capability, too.

And good exercise for me out in the woods, I guess. ;)

Rolleiflex with a Planar lens all the way! Light, beautifully designed, classy 6x6 format, sharpest lens possible.

If you want, I do have a minty Pentax 6x7 with 5 lenses and TTL prism and grip I'd sell for $2200.

I already have too many cameras. I would buy a junker 1959 Austin Healey Sprite for restoration.

DOTJ-59Bugeye-01-466x350.jpg

but I digress ...

Last edited:
Update.

I ended up getting the Fuji GF670. Also got a ton of film, an L358, a new bag (Domke (of course) F-803), and a few other odds & ends...

Congrats on the new gear - with all the extras! :cheer:

I own a Mamiya 645 AFD as my medium format camera.
This is more along the lines of what I would have suggested. I'm really happy with the overall versatility of 645 format, and it doesn't weigh me down. I love my old Mamiya 1000 S, but if I were going to upgrade I'd treat myself to auto focus! :lol:

Enjoy!

I've always had a thing for the Fuji GX680, just for the front movements. Any thoughts on this body?

Looks like it weighs a ton, which is OK with me, but maybe not for someone looking into Mamiya 7.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on this body?
The GX680? ...Never used it before.

The GF670 is very light (1000g, empty), and a joy to use. I can easily get sharp handheld shots down to 1/8th second (ha - the manual doesn't even recommend a tripod till you get under 1/30th). Focusing is fast and easy - it's the easiest focusing manual focus camera I've used. The shutter is super quiet. By far the quietest I have ever used.

The sound of the shutter is comparable to clicking a ball-point pen.

The viewfinder automatically adjusts for parallax too (the guide lines move as you focus).

edit
I have found the frame lines to be pretty much spot-on too.

Last edited:
Here's what I ended up getting (I did go over my budget by nearly $1000 ... oops):

Fujifilm GF670
Sekonic L358
Domke F-803 (waxwear)
bulb release
hood for the GF670
about 100 rolls of film
and various other things I needed like negative sleeves, archival boxes, batteries, stuff like that

I did take a few pictures of the new camera, but I haven't developed that film yet. I have barely even touched my 35mm gear since I got the new camera...

The new bag is pretty nice. Just the right size for the camera, light meter, bulb release, and 20 or so rolls of film. Maybe slightly on the large side actually, so there's enough room to toss in another small camera or a flash for trips when I want to pack light.

The meter on the camera seems pretty accurate, you just have to know when exposure compensation is required. It has aperture priority (with +/- 2 stops of exposure compensation), and manual. I've mostly been using aperture priority, and switching to manual when I'm using flash.
The camera is very compact when folded up. About the size of a typical paperback novel.

The L358 is also pretty sweet. Much easier to learn to use than I thought it would be. I should have bought one years ago...

Most reactions

Back