2017 ArtPrize Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot these on Film. Kodak Portra 400. Minolta Maxxum 9, 70-210 f/4 mini beercan, hand held, manual focus. Lighting was a challenge but I think they came out reasonably well considering they were all shot well below focal length shutter speed, no flash, and no tripod. Cell phone may have came out better but I wanted to push the limits like they did before digital to see what I could accomplish under less than desirable conditions and preparation. If I could change anything, Kodak Portra 800 may have been wiser. Portra definitely has character in low light. I seem to recall the scene being a lot cooler but I'm OK with the results. The Darkroom developed and produced regular scans. Comments or critique is fine.

Two questions.
1. Does Portra always warm up like this is poor lighting conditions? I don't mind it but wasn't expecting it, or could it be the scans?

2. Does Portra 800 have the same uniform grain as 400? Do both speeds push well?

If interested, info on the past exhibit can be found here. Contemporary combines with Rodin for ArtPrize exhibit at Meijer Gardens

1. Aron Demetz, Il Ventriloquo
Aron Demetz.jpg

2. Claire McArdle, Torso Ambrosia
Claire McArdle.jpg

3. Anders Krisar, Untitled
Anders Krisar.jpg

4. Dana Younger, Everything Done-To-Me (Left Arm)
Dana Younger.jpg

Last edited:
@jcdeboever, I'm not sure which I like better - the sculptures are intriguing, though I'm a little confused with #3, or your captures of those sculptures. It might just be my connection with the subject, but I find these some of your best film work. Well done!

@jcdeboever, I'm not sure which I like better - the sculptures are intriguing, though I'm a little confused with #3, or your captures of those sculptures. It might just be my connection with the subject, but I find these some of your best film work. Well done!

Thanks Bud. #3 would have great with a PC lens. I have noticed that I am getting better, generally speaking, with framing the lines and such. I have slowed way, way, way, down in my approach.

I think the lighting, as in less than full spectrum lighting, has more to do with the color shift than the intensity of the light.

So it is, what it is then with film? Any suggestions other than post?

I think the lighting, as in less than full spectrum lighting, has more to do with the color shift than the intensity of the light.

So it is, what it is then with film? Any suggestions other than post?
You can get film that is color balanced/corrected for tungsten, et cetera. The easiest thing is to correct the color in post ... (or shoot B&W, lol).

film that is color balanced/corrected for tungsten

Or use filters when shooting.

I remember shooting some shots for a shoe store.......WOW, there were at least 8 difference types of lights that look white to the human eye but on film.....yikes.

Most reactions

Back